DxD is your trusted source for medical information

SUCCESSFULLY SUBMITTED

WE WILL GET BACK TO YOU SHORTLY!

SUBMITTED

WE WILL GET BACK

TO YOU SHORTLY!

DxD Admin from Singapore asked a question

Is a kidney biopsy necessary to find out why there is protein leakage?

Health & Fitness

The protein in blood is excessive and question is that whether diet has contributed to patient’s major changes in that level just within 2 months. Specialist has ever suggested her to undergo surgery to remove substances from kidney for testing in lab but patient, elderly lady ( my family member ) is very fearful of going for such surgery at old age. Will she have to go for kidney dialysis soon? Anything she can do on her side to prolong her health to prevent condition from worsening. I also facebook messaged with an image of her report from hospital. Unable to attach here as file size not suitable. Sorry, I am writing in layman’s terms as I am not a medical professional so please refer to file sent.

Dr Ethan
CONSULT DOCTOR
Dr Ethan
Answered on January 26th, 2018

Hello,

Without knowing all the pertinent details, it sounds like your relative has been advised to go for a kidney biopsy procedure to find out the cause for the protein leakage, which seems like it has faced a sudden jump in a relatively short period of time (ie 2 months).

A kidney biopsy is NOT a surgery per se; rather, it is a minor procedure whereby a doctor inserts a thin biopsy needle through the patient’s side to remove a very small amount of kidney tissue. This is then sent to the lab for examination.

Again, I do not know the exact circumstances in which the doctor has advised for this procedure, but my best guess is that there was no obvious cause for this sudden jump in protein leakage.

A kidney biopsy will be able to reveal much more information than blood and urine tests, and sometimes a correct diagnosis can only be made from the results of the biopsy.

It may be important to find out the cause to prevent the condition from worsening.

Can diet contribute to a patient’s major change in protein leakage?

A diet rich in protein can result in more issues with protein leakage for patients with kidney problems, so they are often placed on special diets. She should speak to the dietician about what diet to be on.

However, it’s unlikely in this case that her diet alone caused the jump in protein leakage.

Will she have to go for kidney dialysis soon? Anything she can do on her side to prolong her health to prevent condition from worsening?

I’m unable to comment on the need for dialysis, as there are too many factors that control when a patient needs to be placed on dialysis. You or her need to talk to the kidney doctor about this, including how to prevent her condition from worsening. This will in turn depend on the cause for her kidney problems.

0 10 views 0 Doctors agree January 26th, 2018
CONSULT DOCTOR
NEED HELP FINDING TRUSTED DOCTORS WITHIN YOUR BUDGET?
We can search for up to 5 doctors for you that fit your treatment requirements. This service is free and we do not receive commissions.
GET TREATMENT QUOTE