Jerry from Singapore asked a question

Is Botox or Radiofrequency treatment more effective for treating chronic teeth grinding?

Dr Marlene Teo

Hi, I'm constantly troubled by the chronic dull pain that arises from my chronic teeth grinding. Having a night-guard and regular exercises did not help in eliminating the root of my grinding problem. As such, I'm considering either Botox (short-term) or radiofrequency treatment for a more "permanent solution". Can anyone advise what method would be the best in resolving this issue? Could facial muscle electrocautery treatment option be explored? Lastly, where can I find these clinics that offer the above-mentioned services in Singapore, and what are the charge rates typically like?

Hi Jerry,

From what I know of radiofrequency treatment, it is used for facial rejuvenation of the underlying dermal network (non-surgical face lifting). I have not heard of it being used for treating muscles.

I have also not heard about electrocautery for facial muscles. This sounds like it might lead to scarring or facial muscle paralysis/deformities.

Some patients with chronic pain in the head and neck may benefit temporarily from TENS (transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation) that can reduce muscular tension.

Unfortunately, many patients cannot be cured of grinding (bruxism) by using a mouthguard or by performing facial exercises. Nocturnal bruxism is controlled by a program within the brain that physical therapy cannot eliminate. I would still continue using your mouthguard for this reason.

Some patients find that their bruxism reduces when they have any airway impediments corrected. This is helpful for patients who have been diagnosed with airway resistance syndrome through a sleep test.

Correction of airway issues (deviated nasal septum, chronic nasal congestions, arch/jaw alignment) may reduce the frequency and severity of nocturnal grinding in this group of patients.

Unfortunately, there is no"permanent" cure for bruxism. For Botox, you may want to consult a plastic surgeon or dermatologist. Some dentists also have been certified to deliver Botox for bruxism, and your dentist needs to be kept in the loop about any additional treatments you are receiving for bruxism. I advise that you continue to wear your mouthguard every night.

0 172 views 0 Doctors agree Mon May 07 2018 02:11:04 GMT+0000 (UTC)
Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other answers tagged Dental or ask your own question now FOR FREE.