Is face wash recommended for dry but acne-prone skin?

Acne & Scars

Hi doctors,

I have dry(and sometimes peeling) skin. My skin is also prone to acne.

Would you recommend that I use face wash for my dry/oily skin?

Before answering your question, some further information on your background will definitely help:

• Your current age
  • Skin care routine
  • Reactions to previous types of washes

If I understand your question correctly, you're keen to know which type of facial wash (for dry or oily skin) you should be using, considering your dry and sensitive skin?

I personally recommend gentle, soap-free emollient-based facial washes (think Cetaphil) for my patients, then recommend various other topical treatments to manage the acne issue.

A physical consult and assessment might be best for this issue.

Cheers,

Shane

0 784 views 7 Feb 2018

Dry skin can make it prone to acne because of the weakened skin barrier. Apart from choosing the correct facial wash (which you definitely should have), a suitable moisturizer is very important as well.

I agree with Dr Israr's approach to having two different facial washes, and also Dr Shane's clinical approach to properly assess your skin condition before making a recommendation.

There are acne face washes that have 'acne curbing ingredients' without being too dry at the same time (with the use of some emollients). I would highly recommend using one of those.

0 728 views 7 Feb 2018
It is likely that you have a combination skin type, with acne around your jawline and T zone area (nose and lower forehead). On the other hand, your skin is dry and peeling at other areas (either originally so, or likely due to oil-reduction facial washes).

It is highly unlikely for you to have acne-prone skin that is dry at the same place. 

Therefore, you may want to consider 2 kinds of facial washes - a normal slightly hydrating facial wash to be used on your whole face, and another one for oil and acne control to be used on your T zone only for your second round of washing.

Hope that helps!

0 773 views 7 Feb 2018

Facial cleansers are generally accepted as part of any decent face-care. I have friends who can get away with washing their face merely with water and maintain that gorgeous skin.

Most mortals unfortunately will need some facial cleansers to wash away the grime of the daily toils. On the other hand, there are many options. I think Cetaphil is a great brand for such a simple act of cleansing if you have awfully sensitive skin. An alternative is Physiogel. And no, I am not sponsored nor carrying either brands.

Focus on a good moisturiser. Combine a light serum and gel based moisturiser. For this I like Skinceuticals (Which I do carry), and my favourite is the Vitamin B5 hydrating serum. Works like a charm and people with acne-prone skin can take it. Hope all goes well!

0 610 views 17 Feb 2018
Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other answers tagged Acne & Scars or ask your own question now FOR FREE.