Is it normal for bleeding to occur 3 days after wisdom teeth extraction? When should I be concerned?

Dental Wisdom Teeth

I had 2 wisdom teeth extracted 3 days ago and it started to bleed steadily since the previous night. It stopped on day 2 and now it actually bleeds more than the first day, which made me concern. Is that normal? When should I be concerned?

My clinic where I did it is closed and the national dental centre is also closed on weekends…

Where can I seek help? Can general dentists deal with bleeding?

It is possible to have bleeding after a few days post operatively. There are a few factors which may have caused your bleeding:

1. An unstable blood clot or the clot may have been disturbed due to eg) vigorous rinsing / exercising
  2. You experienced a difficult removal, which may cause the surrounding soft tissues or bone to bleed more.
  3. If you have high blood pressure
  4. If you have a “large” blood vessel in your bone or soft tissue which was traumatized

You could try to bite on a gauze for 30 minutes, or apply pressure at the socket site to help stop the bleeding.

However, if the bleeding is still severe or persists for an extended period, you could consider heading to the A&E department of any hospitals. Private GPs should be able to assist you too.

I would not be too worried in this instance if you do not have any history of uncontrollable bleeding or bruising, which may be linked to systemic bleeding disorders.

Kind regards

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other answers tagged Dental Wisdom Teeth or ask your own question now FOR FREE.