Is it normal to feel faint after rubber band ligation for hemorrhoids?

Gastroenterology Colorectal Surgery

After a recent rubber band ligation procedure, I felt giddy and had some blur vision. I also felt cold, and experienced some sweating. I found it difficult to pass urine - I had the urge, but could not really pass much urine. Is this normal? 

Rubber band ligation of piles should not cause the symptoms you have described. In most cases, there may be some local discomfort or blood stained stools days after the ligation process.

The symptoms you have experienced are most likely unrelated to the procedure in my opinion. Having said that, people who have bled a lot before the ligation procedure may experience some of the symptoms you listed due to anaemia.

As such, I urge you to seek help from your doctor who did the procedure for you to find out if further tests are required. On your part, try hydrating yourself with plenty of fluids. Dehydration and transient low blood pressure may account for some of your discomfort. I hope you have a speedy recovery.

- Dr Quan  

Rubber band ligation is a treatment for first or second-degree internal hemorrhoids, which are hemorrhoids that are bleeding or protrude out slightly from the anus. The doctor may ligate 1 to 3 hemorrhoids, depending on how many are symptomatic.

If only one hemorrhoid is ligated appropriately, you should not feel any pain. You are likely to feel an urge to defaecate (as if you have some faeces in your rectum), which lasts for a few hours to one day. You may also encounter some bleeding for a day.

If two or three haemorrhoids are ligated at the same time, the discomfort can be quite intense. In that case, the symptoms you described are commonly seen. The reason you had difficulty passing urine is because the pain causes your pelvic floor muscle to contract. When the pelvic floor muscle is contracted, it also blocks the urethra (urinary passage from the bladder), making it difficult to pass urine.

You should speak to the doctor who performed your rubber band ligation so that he/she can see if anything can be done to help alleviate your symptoms.

60 views 27 Jun 2019
Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other answers tagged Gastroenterology Colorectal Surgery or ask your own question now FOR FREE.