Is it possible to become reliant on acne products?

• Answered3 times
  • Viewed1,522 times

There are 4 main issues that cause acne and that are:

1. Excessive sebum (oil) production
  2. Presence of a bacteria called P. Acnes on the skin
  3. Continued inflammation of the skin cells due to sebum leaking onto the skin cells
  4. Excessive production of cells clogging up the pores

Any lifestyle factor can trigger off any of those 4 issues, causing acne. Thus, I wouldn’t label one as “reliant” on acne medications. Just like we have to eat everyday, but we don’t label ourselves as “reliant” on food.

It’s important to examine every part of your lifestyle to find out what is the cause triggering it? Is it your late sleep? Your fingernails picking at your skin? Hormonal changes? Clogged skin pores? Etc.

Hope that answered you on a deeper level rather than superficially treating symptoms and signs.

I agree with Dr Lee that there is no real evidence that your skin can get resistant to topical skincare. The way you described your outbreaks worsening after stopping the skin care for 6 months, it sounds like something else triggered the acne after curing it previously.

It may be helpful to consult a skin doctor to see what is the reason for the flare and control any exacerbating factors. There are various types of acne and you may not need oral medication if you are just suffering an outbreak of comedonal (blackhead and whitehead) acne.

I know how frustrating it is to face the issue of persistent acne.

There is no real evidence that skin gets resistant to topical products but obviously anecdotal accounts would suggest otherwise.

To cut it short, it sounds like you might need some oral medications like doxycycline or isotretinoin to improve the acute flares first, while using a appropriate skin regimen. From personal experience myself, when facing a flare we tend to overdo things, be it using OXY 10 five times a day and having chemical burns, or washing our face 10 times a day.

Medicines I feel can be a great bridge to stabilising your skin, whilst starting a suitable skin care series.

Don’t lose heart as many have walked this path before. Consult your doctor and treat early to avoid further scarring as well as treat the existing scarring. Best of luck!

Not the answer you're looking for? Just ask your own quesiton now FOR FREE.

10 Things Your Doctor Wants You To Know About Eczema

Nearly one in five Singaporeans have suffered from eczema at some point in their lives. In order to treat it successfully, it really helps to know a bit more about what causes eczema, beyond just having "sensitive skin".

Here are my top 10 tips from seeing eczema patients in clinic (they form a huge proportion of patients who visit the skin clinic).

5 Most Common Travel-Related Skin Conditions Seen By A Dermatologist
Botox VS Dermal Fillers: All You Need To Know About The 2 Alternatives To Non-surgical Facelifts

Over the years, people have known Botox and dermal fillers as relatively simple solutions to improve features as well as to attain desirable facial aesthetics. While both are given through injections and are minimally invasive, they do have their fair share of differences. I hope that through this article, it will help you to understand more about these two treatments.

Your Comprehensive Guide To Choosing The Best Aesthetic Treatment (2020)

"Dedicated to the ethical practice of Aesthetic Medicine"

When seeking an aesthetic treatment, few questions may come to mind:

• How can I be sure if this treatment is safe for me?
  • What qualities should I look out for in a doctor?
  • What are the benefits and risks of this treatment?

These are all valid and good questions that you should be asking before deciding which treatment to go and which doctor will be performing it. 

Read on to find out about how you can effectively choose your treatment!

The Ultimate Guide to Fractional Lasers by an Aesthetic Doctor in Singapore (2020)

Having smooth skin that is free of acne scars and wrinkles is the dream of many. There is little we will not do to achieve skin that becomes the envy of others.

As an aesthetic doctor who specialises in customised laser treatments, I have written this article about fractional lasers to help guide you in choosing which fractional laser treatment works best for you.