Admin DXD profile picture
Admin DXD

Is it possible to have perfect eyesight but blurry vision after Epi-LASIK surgery?

Eye & LASIK

Six months after my epi-lasik surgery, I requested for a thorough eye test including an eye dilation test as my doctor wanted to discharge me but I could tell that my left eye vision is still blurry. During the eye test, my left eye could not read some of the letters, unlike my right eye. I thought that it proves that there is still some residual degree in my left eye but my doctor said that there is no remaining degree in any of my eyes.

Is it possible to have perfect eyesight but blurry vision? My doctor has once commented that my left eye has rather high astigmatism so I’m wondering if the astigmatism has not been fully corrected.

The term ‘perfect eyesight’ can be somewhat misleading as it could mean different things.

When we check eyesight (visual acuity), we are asked to read a chart with smaller and smaller letters. One of the line of small letters near the bottom is called the 6/6 line, and if a person can read the letters on that line, some people would call that ‘perfect eyesight’. But being able to read or make out the letters does not necessarily mean that those letters are perfectly clear. Hence, there can be 6/6 vision that is more clear or more blur than another person’s 6/6 vision. 

There can be many reasons for blurrer vision. Things like dry eyes, post epiLASIK/PRK haze, residual spectacle power, or so called ‘higher order aberrations’ which are surface irregularities not correctable with regular glasses. 

But generally, if letters on the 6/6 line can be read, any factor causing blurring is likely to be mild.

If you are still concerned about your vision, you should discuss this further with your doctor or consider getting a second opinion. Only with a thorough check and relevant tests can a doctor tell if there is any residual problem and how mild or severe it is.

0 768 views 0 Doctors agree 25 Jan 2018

Dear cat88hiu

I regret to hear that your results may not have been what you expected.

Often times, it is possible to have a difference of 0.25D to 0.50D (25 to 50 degrees) between 2 eyes following a successful LASIK surgery. Usually each eye at this level is still able to see very well without glasses.

Should you feel that your vision is “blurry”, it would be best to find out from your surgeon the results of the chart reading and the post-operative refraction results.

Only by having the afore-mentioned data would you be able to objectively quantify the level of your vision and tell you what type of refractive error (e.g. myopia or astigmatism) may still be present.

0 769 views 0 Doctors agree 25 Jan 2018
Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other answers tagged Eye & LASIK or ask your own question now FOR FREE.