Is nosebleeds in children a sign of something serious?

• Answered1 time
  • Viewed1,097 times

Nosebleeds are quite common in children. We see many children at our clinic with this problem and sometimes, it is related to hayfever with recurrent sneezing irritating the delicate lining of the nose, the prolonged use of nasal steroid sprays or simple digging of the nose. 

The most common source of the nosebleed is usually the tiny blood vessels at the front part of the nose, as they run close to the surface of the skin and are easily injured. This is simple to treat by sealing these delicate blood vessels shut with a special silver nitrate stick applied to the area in clinic (cautery) (see picture below).

ENT Doctor Singapore

Older children can have it done in the clinic after some “magic” numbing cream is applied to the nose before the short and simple procedure is performed. Younger kids, such as your daughter, may prefer to have it done as a short day-case procedure under light sedation.

I certainly don’t think that nosebleeds are considered “normal”! You should bring your child to your friendly ENT specialist for a thorough checkup because sometimes, nosebleeds may have more worrying causes, such as tumours at the back of the nose. They may also be early signs of conditions which cause the blood to clot abnormally, such as leukaemias (blood cancers).

Not the answer you're looking for? Just ask your own quesiton now FOR FREE.

Ask Dr Gan Eng Cern: Chronic Coughs And Colds

Suffering from persistent coughs or frequent colds? Get advice on how to get rid of them from Dr Gan Eng Cern, an ENT Specialist with subspecialty in nose and sinuses.

Ask Dr Annabelle Leong: ENT Conditions In Children

Ear, nose, and throat (ENT) problems are extremely common in children, including ear infections, blocked and stuffy nose, tonsillitis, snoring and sleep-related breathing issues.

The challenge is to diagnose these correctly in children who may not always be able to report their symptoms. With the right diagnosis, ENT conditions in children can be treated successfully.

Dr Annabelle answered questions from readers on:

• Common ENT problems in children
  • Allergic Rhinitis, Chronic Sore Throat, Hearing loss, Nose Bleeds, etc
  • Childhood ENT Disorder
  • When to see a specialist for these conditions
  • Causes of these problems
  • Treatment options in Singapore
  • Treatment costs in Singapore
18 Definitive Tips On Whether Your Child Needs To See A Doctor Or Not
This Nose Surgeon Reveals How Best to Recover From a Nose Job

Excited to see the results of your rhinoplasty procedure? Regardless, the recovery process takes time and great care is needed to ensure the best results.

But what happens during the process? What are the things you need to take note of? What should you do or not do? Can you return to your ideal lifestyle? Many people are unclear about what to expect post-rhinoplasty. In this article. I will share with you my advice and tips so you can enjoy a great recovery.

Read on to find out more!

13 Side Effects of Chemotherapy This Oncologist Wants You to Know About

Chemotherapy has a wide variety of side effects, and they are unpredictable because they are dependant on the type of chemo drugs that are recommended by your oncologist. Furthermore, the majority of chemo patients experience side effects because the treatment is unable to differentiate between cancerous cells and healthy cells.

I am Dr Ooi Wei Seong, a medical oncologist at International Cancer Specialists. In this article, I will talk about 13 side effects of chemotherapy that all cancer patients and caregivers should be well-informed about.