Admin DXD profile picture
Admin DXD

Is Picosure laser a better option for pigmentation and melasma treatment compared to other lasers?

Dr Terence Tan
Dr Terence Tan

Dr Kevin Chua
Dr Kevin Chua
Aesthetic Medicine

I read that Picosure laser works deep under skin surface and produce less heat. I would like to know is Picosure laser a better option for pigmentation treatment compare to other laser (e.g Q-switched laser, fractional laser, etc) ?

And is the cost for Picosure laser more expensive than other laser treatments?

Thank you.

Hi PO,

I totally agree with Dr Elias Tam that “There is no perfect laser for treatment of pigmentations”.

The analogy is like having the fastest sports car alone does not guarantee to bring you the Formula One Championship trophy. In fact, to even have a shot at the trophy, the sports car must be driven by an equally matched professional experienced driver.   

In my own experience, pigmentation laser with the latest technology can certainly be very useful, but technology alone does not guarantee results.

In fact, I have come across very experienced doctors getting also really good results treating difficult and stubborn pigmentations with older laser models.

Thus the most important factor that determines good results from pigmentation laser is the clinical experience of the performing doctor.

Furthermore, other than melasma, there are other different types of pigmentation commonly seen on the face (eg freckles, solar lentigos, post-inflammatory hyperpigmentations etc), especially in the Asian skin types.

Treatments therefore will be tailored to the types of pigmentation and individual skin types, which can include other modalities eg topical lightening creams, chemical peels etc.

Depending on the types and severity of the pigmentations, sometimes just topical lightening creams and sun protection measures alone are sufficient to have good results. 

So I would recommend you to speak to an experienced doctor whom you are comfortable with to discuss on the most suitable treatment options for you.

For more detailed information on the treatments of melasma and other commonly seen pigmentations, you can find out more in my "Ultimate Guide to Pigmentation Treatment in Singapore".

Cheers!

Dr David Ng C H

0 1996 views 0 Doctors agree Fri Jun 22 2018 07:00:37 GMT+0000 (UTC)

Hello PO,

Picosecond lasers like the Picosure are an upgraded version of their Qswitch counterparts. Based on the science behind them, they are safer and more effective with removing pigmentation.

Fractional lasers are a useful alternative for certain types of pigmentation.

The experience and dedication of the physician behind the laser machine is just as important. Generally the cost for pico lasers are pricier than Qswitch.

0 3122 views 0 Doctors agree Thu Jan 25 2018 04:01:11 GMT+0000 (UTC)

Hello PO,

I fully agree with Dr Chua. Picosecond laser treatments are generally pricier than Q-switched ND-YAG laser treatments.

In addition, Picosecond lasers can be used to treat more stubborn pigment disorders that do not respond well to Q-switched ND-YAG lasers alone.

In clinics that have both Picosecond and Q-switched ND-YAG lasers, doctors can tailor a treatment plan using these two lasers to treat stubborn pigment disorders whilst keeping treatment prices more affordable.

Do note that Lasers are tools for your doctor. You need good technology and a well-trained doctor to give you good results. Both are equally important!

0 3122 views 0 Doctors agree Thu Jan 25 2018 04:01:37 GMT+0000 (UTC)

There is no perfect laser for treatment of pigmentation.

PICO refers to the picosecond pulse duration, and it may be of different wavelength.

There are various types of pigmentation and the treatment will defer. It may be just topical cream, oral medication, or light therapy such as laser or IPL.

PICO laser may be:

1. PICOSURE
  2. PICOWAY
  3. DISCOVERY 

Many more are coming on the way. There are also various types of fractional lasers, including CO2 and PICO.

To decide on the appropriate treatment, its best that you seek a proper assessment with your doctor.

0 3123 views 0 Doctors agree Thu Jan 25 2018 04:00:01 GMT+0000 (UTC)

Hello!

PicoSure is a good choice for treatment of pigmentation including melasma. As you have rightfully pointed out, picosecond lasers like PicoSure, deliver a strong pulse of energy over a very short picosecond interval to scatter pigmentation without heating up the skin significantly.

In my opinion, PicoSure is the gold standard for treatment of facial pigmentation.

PicoSure treatments are generally more expensive that Q Switched laser treatments but the price varies depending on the extent of treatment done. You should see an experienced doctor for a consultation before deciding if PicoSure is for you.

Cheers!

Dr. Terence Tan

0 1723 views 0 Doctors agree Tue Jul 10 2018 07:39:04 GMT+0000 (UTC)
Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other answers tagged Aesthetic Medicine or ask your own question now FOR FREE.