Is subcision or excision more effective for chicken pox scars? (photo)

Aesthetic Medicine

Hello and greetings! Would subcision or excision be more effective for a chicken pox scar? It's about the size of something like "a rubber at the top of a pencil" kinda thing. It's at the forehead area above my eyebrow. From what I've researched over the Internet, exision seems pretty effective for such a scar. Where would I be able to do such a procedure in Singapore? How much would such a procedure costs roughly? Many thanks in advance! :)

The choice of scar revision technique depends on a few things, uncluding:

1. The type of scar

2. The location of the scar

You appear to have an atrophic box-like scar just above the brow. Excision of scars can be done with good reduction of scar appearances, but I would, in this case, recommend a trial of subscisions combined with (careful) filler placement and laser resurfacing. 

I suggest the above for a few reasons:

1. The scar, when excised, will need to be sutured back for primary healing. At this location, it can create some tension and a raised brow which can be obvious during the recovery period. 

2. Gradual resurfacing of the scar is a good option due to the contour of the area above the brow; the gentle slope of the partially resurfaced scar should blend in well with the supra-brow area without the need for the more invasive method of excision with the aim of completely removing the scar. 

Should the result from subscisions and resurfacing not be to your liking, excision can ultimately still be performed. 

I hope this answers some questions, but you should be seen personally by your doctor to determine the true nature of your scar. 

Subscision and resurfacing  can cost several hundreds of dollars per session, varying between clinics. All the best, and happy CNY! 

Shane

2699 views 15 Feb 2018
Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other answers tagged Aesthetic Medicine or ask your own question now FOR FREE.