Admin DXD from Singapore asked a question

Is the Mosaic or Fraxel laser better for treating acne scars and pigmentation?

Dr Colin Theng

I am looking to reduce acne scars, uneven skin texture and pigmentation. Which treatment is best? Thanks.

Dear Suzi,

Thank you for your question. I will try my best to address the various aspects of your question.

Acne scars and uneven skin texture can be improved using Mosaic or Fraxel whereas pigmentation is best treated using either Q-switched ND:Yag lasers or the newer Picosecond lasers.

Mosaic vs Fraxel: Similarities

Both lasers use the fractional technology.  The laser beams create heated columns of “thermal damage” throughout the treated tissue. This results in alteration of the collagen structure in the skin’s deeper layers which creates conditions that are ideal for collagen regeneration and increased elasticity. This results in shallower scars.

Mosaic vs Fraxel: Differences

Mosaic is a non-ablative Fractional Erbium glass laser.

Fraxel has got 2 lasers with fractional technology:

1. Fraxel Repair is a Fractional CO2 laser, which is ablative
  2. Fraxel Restore is a Fractional Erbium glass laser, which is non-ablative.

Which is “Better” for Scars and Uneven skin texture?

It really depends on the type of scars that you have.

For uneven skin texture and shallow rolling scars, non-ablative fractional lasers would generally suffice.

For deeper scars, ablative fractional lasers would be more suitable. However, ablative fractional lasers tend to have a longer recovery time which translates to longer social downtime.

That being said, the effectiveness of each type of laser treatment is dependent on the doctor who is performing the treatment.

I use a combination of lasers and subcision with hyaluronic acid to target the various types of acne scars over the course of a few treatment sessions. Following which, pigmentation can be treated using either Q-switched ND:Yag lasers or the newer Picosecond lasers.

To get optimal results, please consult a doctor for a personalized treatment plan.

Hope that this helps!

0 1189 views 0 Doctors agree Thu Jan 25 2018 03:50:32 GMT+0000 (UTC)

Dear Suzi,

I agree with Dr Justin that a combination treatment approach is preferred in treating acne scars. Most patients have a mix of different scar types that will benefit from subcision and energy based devices.

The latest Fraxel platform is the Fraxel:Dual which combines the Erbium Glass wavelength in the older Fraxel:Restore (same as Mosaic) with a Fractional Thulium (aka BB laser/Lavieen/LaseMD). The Thulium wavelength actually helps with reducing epidermal pigmentation too, apart from resurfacing scars and uneven texture. Qswitch or Picosecond lasers are still needed to achiever faster results with dermal pigmentation.

Fractional CO2 remains the gold standard in acne scar treatment and I use it selectively and in combination with the above two described wavelengths. I also use the fractional picosecond technology to treat acne scars – this is a whole new dimension of acne scar treatments and has shown promise of treating certain scars better than the fractional CO2.

A proper consultation and communication with your doctor is key to successful treatment.

0 1189 views 0 Doctors agree Thu Jan 25 2018 03:54:40 GMT+0000 (UTC)
Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other answers tagged Aesthetic Medicine Acne & Scars or ask your own question now FOR FREE.