Is there any difference in outcomes for Multifocal vs Monofocal cataract lenses?

Hi, I am 55 years old this year. I had my cataract surgery (monofocal) 4 months ago. I am still experiencing some side effects. My 62 year old friend who did multifocal surgery recovered fast with no side effects. I would like to find out if there are any differences in outcomes for Multifocal vs Monofocal cataract lenses. Please advise. Thanks.

Multifocal and monofocal lens implant offers different visual outcomes with their own sets of pros and cons.

Multifocal lens can help patients to see both far and near. Whereas, monofocal lens can only help patients to see best at only one focal distance (either far or near), which greatly depends on the doctor's advice.

Though multifocal lens offers the benefit of seeing near and distant object clearly, they are generally more costly. They are also suitable for a smaller percentage of patients compared to monofocal lens, as they tend to be more suitable for a healthy, young patients because visual adaptation is needed. Also, the number patients' complaints of glares/ halos for multifocal lens are generally more compared to that with monofocal lens.

I will strongly advise you to be patient during this 'recovery phase', and to adhere closely to your eye doctor's advice.

Wishing you all the best in your recovery!

554 views 22 Oct 2018
Not the question you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged Eye & LASIK or ask your own question now FOR FREE.