How can I cope better when my partner has depression, anger outbursts, and brooding?

Psychiatry Mental Health

My partner has suffered from depression for a long time, with anger outbursts and episodes of moody silence. He is on medication and sees a doctor. I feel like I have to walk around on "eggshells" and want to protect our child from the tension. Sometimes, I experience crying, anger, and sadness myself. How can I cope better and help my child understand?

You need to take good care of your own emotional health too, as you are clearly suffering from care-giver stress. Otherwise, if both parents become depressed, who will care for your child? I suggest that you see a mental health professional for assessment and discussion of treatment options. This will include learning how to cope better and how to help and protect your child.

We also have mental health support groups in Singapore, including for caregivers. You can contact the Singapore Association for Mental Health (SAMH).

Most importantly, if there is a risk of violence or you feel threatened, you can apply for a Personal Protection Order (PPO) at the police station. 

Dr Terence Leong
MBBS, MMed (Psychiatry), FAMS

Promises Healthcare

#09-22/23 Novena Medical Centre

10 Sinaran Drive, Singapore 307506

190 views 6 May 2019
Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other answers tagged Psychiatry Mental Health or ask your own question now FOR FREE.