Is LASIK or Epi-LASIK recommended for high myopia?

Eye & LASIK

I have high myopia of 900+ on one eye, and 800+ on the other. May I know if LASIK/Epi-LASIK is able to return my vision to 6/6? Is LASIK or Epi-LASIK typically recommended for high myopia, and what are the considerations?

With high myopia, we must first ascertain if you have sufficient corneal thickness for you to safely undergo laser vision correction. The higher the myopia, the more corneal tissue needs to be removed. Hence, having sufficiently thick corneas is an important consideration. A comprehensive pre-laser evaluation would be able to give your surgeon details about your eyes including the shape of your eyes, the stability of your refraction, etc. From there, your surgeon will be able to recommend the most appropriate procedure for your eyes. In my practice, I generally do not recommend epi-LASIK should your myopia exceed -8.00 as there is a higher possibility of seeing haze and regression after surgery.

4 views 18 May 2019
Both Lasik and epi-Lasik are great options for visual rehabilitation in high myopes. Most people perform Lasik if they are suitable for it, as the visual recovery is much faster, and the time to stable refraction is much faster in comparison.

However not all patients who are high myopes are suitable for Lasik. The main consideration is that of the corneal thickness. If the residual corneal thickness after Lasik is insufficient for stable corneal refraction in the long term, then Epi-Lasik is an alternative that patients consider. Do speak to your ophthalmologist who may be best positioned to advise you on what your options are.
108 views 19 Feb 2019
Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other answers tagged Eye & LASIK or ask your own question now FOR FREE.