Can I safely use acne topical products such as benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid if I am on antidepressants?

Dr Chin Yee Choong
4.7

"Dedicated to the ethical practice of Aesthetic Medicine"

To answer your question, yes, you may. In fact, topical acne medications that you have listed (benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid) have no interactions with your anti-depressant therapy. With that said, it is also not associated with aggravating depression.

On the other hand, if your acne is severe and oral isotretinoin is being considered, then these topical acne medications must be used with caution. This is due to the fact that isotretinoin may aggravate an underlying depressive illness or psychiatric disorders [1].

With that, you should watch out for any symptoms and inform a doctor when that happens.

References:

1. Review of Isotretinoin and Psychiatric Adverse Reactions.; 2014. Accessed November 15, 2019.