Should children have their milk teeth extracted to prevent permanent teeth from growing crooked?

My girl’s 2 milk teeth is not shaky at all, but her 2 permanent teeth are coming out in a super crooked way now, does she need to see a dentist to extract it or the permanent teeth will shake the milk teeth off and place itself nicely? I always thought when permanent teeth start to grow, the milk teeth will become shaky and drop by themselves, but it is not the case for my girl. I’m worried she might have a super crooked set of teeth in future. Please advise. Thanks!

Dear Cherie,

Removing children’s milk teeth may not be enough to make the adult teeth straighten themselves out spontaneously.

The reason why the baby teeth have not fallen out on their own is usually due to 2 reasons:

1) The adult teeth erupting out of alignment

2) The adult teeth are not present

Reason #2 can be detected by having an xray of the jaws taken to check if all your daughter’s permanent teeth are developing normally. Some people are just born with an incomplete set of permanent teeth. Baby teeth that have no permanent teeth to replace them can function well for many years into adulthood.

Your dentist may be able to detect any tooth alignment or jaw developmental issues even in a young child and give you more specific advice, at your routine hygiene (scaling) appointments.

Some issues do sort themselves out as your child grows. Others may progress into more severe problems that are costly or more difficult to treat when your child is older. Sometimes, early intervention can help prevent severe crooked teeth from even occurring in the first place.

I usually prefer not to extract baby teeth prematurely for a couple of reasons. Firstly, it is not a guaranteed way to prevent the adult teeth from becoming crowded. Secondly, if it is your child’s first visit to the dentist, her first memory and experience of it should not be of an extraction! Especially if the baby teeth are not already very loose, extracting them can be more difficult than expected.

I hope this helps!

0 2129 views 26 Jan 2018
Contact Doctor
Not the question you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged Dental Children’s Health Paediatric Dentistry or ask your own question now FOR FREE.