Should I do my dental crown or braces first?

Dental Orthodontics

Hello! I had a root canal treatment done on my central incisor previously, however my tooth is getting progressively yellower with time, as my dentist said that the nerve inside is dead (or something along those lines). I will like to get a crown done for this tooth as the colour difference is getting very obvious, however, I also want to correct my slight overbite with braces/invisalign. Should I get a crown or braces first? What will be the cheapest way to go about doing this – to go to a polyclinic to get a referral / making an appointment with student dentists at NUH? In the event that I need to get my wisdom teeth extracted, where does this fit in time-wise with the crowning and braces (before or after crowning/braces)?

Will greatly appreciate advice on this, thank you!

It is better to get your braces done first before your crown. This is because the tooth and gum position will move and it may affect the final crown work. The crown surface may also be damaged during braces work (risk is small) which means that you may need a new crown after braces.

If you want to be treated with subsidy you will need a polyclinic referral letter. However please note that there are no subsidies for any orthodontic treatment. You can be seen by the postgraduate students at NUS for a slightly reduced price for braces if you wanted to.

In terms of wisdom teeth, it is better to consult the orthodontist first prior to extractions as sometimes other teeth may need to be extracted alongside the wisdom teeth.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other answers tagged Dental Orthodontics or ask your own question now FOR FREE.