Should my Invisalign dentist or a separate dentist extract my wisdom tooth?

Dental Invisalign Wisdom Teeth

I am currently undergoing Invisalign treatment. If I wish to remove my wisdom tooth, is it recommended that I go to my regular dental surgeon whom I did my Invisalign with, or should I go to another dental clinic that specialises in dental surgery and wisdom tooth removal, such as an oral maxillofacial surgeon? How will this impact my Invisalign treatment and wisdom tooth extraction outcome?

First of all, let me share with you that all General Dental Surgeons as well as Specialist Dental Surgeons, regardless of their area of specialty , are legally allowed to perform wisdom tooth removal.

However, having said that, not all dental surgeons have equal training and experience in the field, and if your wisdom tooth removal is a complex one, it is not unreasonable for you to consider having the procedure done with either a general dentist who has a special interest and further training in wisdom teeth removal or a specialist Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon.

One could argue that having a very experienced dental surgeon who does many cases of wisdom teeth surgery per year, would result in a better experience and result for your wisdom tooth removal. However, if your case is a complex one, complications still could occur even in the best of hands.

Your Invisalign dentist should be able to give you some advice on whether or not your wisdom tooth removal process is a complicated one with lots of risks or a simple one with minimal risk.

Removing your wisdom teeth should not have a significant impact on your Invisalign treatment plan at all, but it is best for you to double check this with your Invisalign dentist to see if this statement is applicable in YOUR particular case.

I hope this answer helps you.

Kind Regards,

Dr Gerald Tan

671 views 28 Aug 2018
Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other answers tagged Dental Invisalign Wisdom Teeth or ask your own question now FOR FREE.