After finding a small cervical polyp, what is the recommended next course of action?

• Answered2 times
  • Viewed233 times

"More than 20 years of obstetrics and gynaecology experience"

For most women especially if the cervical polyp is small, they may not have any symptoms and so it is usually discovered during a routine pap smear (cervical cancer screening). The most common symptom that would prompt women to see their gynaecologist would be post-coital bleeding (bleeding after sexual intercourse).

The best course of treatment would be for the gynaecologist to remove the cervical polyp with a sponge forceps and no analgesia is needed during the removal as it is painless. The cervical polyp is then sent to a histology lab for the pathologist to examine thoroughly in order to exclude any possibility of malignancy.

If the cervical polyp is large or if the base is broad, the removal would have to be performed as a day surgery (minor surgery) case with appropriate anaesthesia in case of excessive bleeding that needs to be arrested quickly after the polyp has been excised. In the majority of cases, these cervical polyps tend to be benign in nature.

If a cervical polyp has been detected, follow up with radiological investigations and excision/removal of the polyp may be recommended by your gynaecologist. Usually, if the polyp is small, the removal procedure is fairly uncomplicated and both the patient and surgeon will glean more information about the nature of the polyp (whether benign or malignant) through histology testing.

There is also a need to distinguish cervical polyps from endometrial polyps through histology as they have different risks. Majority of cervical and endometrial polyps are benign but thorough testing is required for confirmation. Do see your gynaecologist for their specialist opinion on the management of your condition.

Not the answer you're looking for? Just ask your own quesiton now FOR FREE.

Ultimate Guide To Regenera Activa: Hair Loss Treatment Without Surgery

"Doctor with interest in Aesthetics and Lasers"

Thinning hair stems from many reasons, and it can be distressing. Patients who come to me are eager to seek ways to reverse thinning hair.

However, despite their eagerness, many of them are still not keen on trying traditional hair growth methods. Hair growth medicines come with quite a number of undesirable side effects, while hair transplant surgery is costly, and carries some risks. 

Thus, I wrote this 1500-word article to share my knowledge of a recent treatment that uses autologous micrografts to restore hair growth. Here's how it works.

You Can Prevent STIs And HIV; This Singaporean Doctor Explains How

Sexually transmitted diseases can be hard to talk about. In many ways, there's still a certain sense of taboo whenever the topic comes around. This is especially true in Asian countries like Singapore.

Such a lack of familiarity can become an issue. Many individuals aren’t well-informed about the various types of STIs that can be contracted, as well as the types of treatment and preventive measures available. 

A number of DoctorxDentist readers have posted questions pertaining to sexually-transmitted illnesses. Dermatologist Dr Tan Wei Sheng shared his professional opinions. 

Hysterectomy: All You Need To Know With A Singaporean Gynaecologist

Did you know that between 2010 and 2013, 386,226 women had done a hysterectomy in the United States? [1] In fact, hysterectomy remains to be one of the most common surgeries that Singaporean women go through.

As a gynaecologist myself, I would love to help clear up some of the doubts surrounding hysterectomy. At the same time, I would like to help you find the suitable forms of treatment that works best for your case.

Here are a few key points that you should know about hysterectomy. Click to find out!

Botox VS Dermal Fillers: All You Need To Know About The 2 Alternatives To Non-surgical Facelifts

Over the years, people have known Botox and dermal fillers as relatively simple solutions to improve features as well as to attain desirable facial aesthetics. While both are given through injections and are minimally invasive, they do have their fair share of differences. I hope that through this article, it will help you to understand more about these two treatments.

A GP's Take on Urinary Incontinence in Singapore

Urinary incontinence is a medical condition resulting in the involuntary leakage of urine. Urinary incontinence is actually a very common condition in Singapore. But it is under-reported and under-diagnosed. It is actually a very treatable condition. In this article, I will share with you the causes of urinary incontinence and the treatment options available to you.

Read on to find out more!