What are the available surgical treatments to help stop snoring?
- Nasal Surgeries- these include surgery to the nasal valve, nasal septum, turbinates, swell bodies, sinuses etc.
- Back of the Nose- removing adenoids
- Throat Surgeries- removing or reducing tonsils, advancing/shortening/
tightening/stiffening of the soft palate(to improve the space behind the palate), removing part of the hard palate to increase the space behind the palate.
- Tongue Surgeries- reducing the size of the tongue, advancing the tongue by using sutures/other devices, innervating the nerve to the tongue, stiffening the cartilage above the voice box(epiglottis) etc
- Jaw Surgery- to advance the lower jaw/tongue and sometimes both the upper/lower jaws to increase the space behind the throat and tongue
- Very rarely- doing a tracheostomy(opening into the windpipe) in severe cases-eg if the patient has severe heart failure resulting from sleep apnoea
Dr Adrian Saurajen
MBBS (U of Sydney, Australia), FRCS (ENT) (RCS, Edinburgh, United Kingdom), FRCS (RCPS, Glasgow, United Kingdom), FAMS (Academy of Medicine, Singapore), M Med (Sleep Medicine) (U of Sydney, Australia)
6 Napier Road #10-04,
Gleneagles Medical Centre,
A Complete Guide To Endometriosis Treatment in Singapore (2019)
Endometriosis is one of the most common conditions women suffer from. Globally, it affects 22% of all women . It is one of the main causes of...READ MORE
The Complete Guide To Seeing An ENT Specialist In Singapore (2019)
Friends, families, and even fellow doctors often ask me how they should go about seeing an Ear, Nose & Throat (ENT) Specialist in Singapore. Many are...READ MORE