Many of my patients come to my clinic seeking scar removal treatment, so I decided to put together this guide to address some of the most common queries I encounter. It covers frequent types of scars such as keloid scars, acne scars and surgical scars.
In fact, wounds heal best in a sterile and moisture-controlled environment.
To list, here are some ways that can help to accelerate the wound healing process:
- Gentle cleansing with normal saline solution.
- Application of a mild antiseptic gel (e.g. octenisan) or antibiotic ointment (e.g. mupirocin)
- Use of a sterile hydrocolloid or non-adhesive dressing such as duoderm or mepilex.
- Avoid picking on the scab that forms.
- Avoid smoking. Nicotine reduces nutritional blood flow to the skin, thus impairing the healing process of the injured tissue .
- Ensure proper nutrition and hydration.