What affects the cost of a hair transplant in Singapore?Skin, Hair & Nails Follicle Hair Hair Loss
I'm a 25 years old male who is suffering from genetic male pattern baldness. I would like to know what affects the cost of a hair transplant in Singapore, as I have found some quotes rather expensive.
Hi. Cost of Hair Transplant in Singapore varies from $3 to $10 per graft, depending on the number of grafts required and technology used. Robotic harvesting of donor grafts may cost more than manual hair transplant.
Cost per graft should not be the main consideration. In my opinion, transection rate of transplanted hair MUST be taken into consideration above all else.
Firstly, your cost per graft in hair transplant would end up higher when the transection rate is high. That means, you will be paying for grafts that either will not grow well or will not survive. That brings us to the availability of hair follicles from the donor site.
We do not have unlimited hair follicles to be wasted on. Transected hair follicles, once harvested, will not be growing back in the donor site again.Therefore, a high transection rate not only increase the cost of your hair transplant procedure, it also reduce the amount of resources available for future procedure. These transected hair follicles will be forever gone. That does not sound like a good deal after all.
We advise that extensive research be done on the credential of various clinics, and experience of their hair transplant team before making a decision.
All the best.
Dr Kelvin Chua
The cost of a hair restoration procedure depends on a few factors:
1. The surface area where hair needs to be restored: this will affect the number of grafts that are required for the procedure, in order to achieve a good aesthetic result. Most centres in Singapore charge per follicular unit graft (/FU) but some centres may have a different way of charging.
2. The total number of grafts required: Generally, it is common practice to quote a cheaper 'per graft rate' if the number of grafts required is large i.e. >2000 follicular unit grafts.
3. The type of procedure being done: Several methods of hair transplantation are currently practiced in Singapore - FUEE (Follicular Unit Excision and Extraction), ARTAS FUE (a robotic form of FUEE surgery) and FUT (or the so called strip harvesting procedure). Older methods of hair restoration surgery such as scalp reduction are seldom performed in Singapore now.
4. The post-operative care: In our centre we make great effort to ensure that you protect your hair restoration investment with close follow-up reviews, growth factor infusions at specific intervals and low-level laser light therapy in clinic.
5. The person performing the surgery: The ISHRS (International Society of Hair Restoration Surgeons) code of best practice states that the decisions and surgical incisions should be done by a doctor as it is a surgical procedure. Do clarify this point during your consultation.
My advice is to compare quotations at a personal consultation with the hair restoration doctor and not just over the phone.
I hope this helps.
Dr Joshua Chong
The Ultimate Guide To Getting A Hair Transplant In Singapore (2019)
“Hair transplant Singapore” is one of the most Googled terms locally, with over 1,000 searches each month. It’s no coincidence that hair...READ MORE
The Doctor's Guide To Hair Loss Treatment In Singapore (2019)
About 99% of hair loss treatments in Singapore that you see advertised on local media do NOT work at all. You probably know exactly which adverts I'm...READ MORE