YY from Singapore asked a question

What are the available treatment options for receding gums?

Dr Marlene Teo

Dental

Hi docs, the gum area between a couple of my teeth seem to be receding, leading to tiny "black triangles". They are rather unsightly. In addition, a few more teeth appear to have slightly receding gums, which I sometimes notice when I smile. Are there any treatments available to restore the gum in these problem areas?

Hi YY,

Hope this finds you well. The black triangles that you mention can be quite annoying isn't it. If it doesn't bother you all that much, sometimes leaving it alone and just improving your oral hygiene at that area should suffice as it tends to trap food occasionally.

Sometimes to conceal the black triangles, we can do bonding on both affected teeth to close up the gaps. Alternatively, if the recession is fairly evident, some would consider gum grafting the affected area. 

It will be good to consider all the options after having a proper consultation and evaluation by your dentist. Have a good weekend ahead!

Kenneth
0 657 views 0 Doctors agree Sat Mar 24 2018 03:54:03 GMT+0000 (UTC)

Hey YY, 

Thank you for the question. Receding gums are a sign of active gum disease, so if these ' black triangles' have been a recent occurrence, I would say its time to visit the dentist or periodontist to address the problem. 

Gum disease causes gum recession, exposing more of the tooth root which can lead to prominent gaps between teeth ie 'black triangles', and longer teeth. Teeth sensitivity and shaky teeth can also be a result of gum disease, depending on the severity and extent of the problem. 

Solutions to receding gums include 

1. Gum treatment ( deep cleaning to control the active disease and flush out the bacteria) 

2. Simple white fillings ( tooth coloured material to fill the black triangle spaces) 

3. Orthodontic treatment ( braces or invisalign to close spaces, only for suitable cases) 

4. Pinhole gum rejuvenation ( this is a minimally invasive technique of lifting the gums to restore its original height, you can find out more on this link

My recommendation would be to first address the cause which is to restore your gums back into the pink of health before thinking about restorative options. For starters, I would highly recommend flossing nightly to keep the gum bacteria levels low. A trip to the dentist or periodontist ( gum specialist) would be highly advisable, after which you can decide together what is the best option for you. 

Hope you find this helpful and should you have any further questions please feel free to ask! 

Dr Beth 

0 626 views 0 Doctors agree Mon Mar 26 2018 09:47:45 GMT+0000 (UTC)

Hey YY, 

Solutions to receding gums include 

My recommendation would be to first address the cause which is to restore your gums back into the pink of health before thinking about restorative options.

For starters, I would highly recommend flossing nightly to keep the gum bacteria levels low. A trip to the dentist or periodontist ( gum specialist) would be highly advisable, after which you can decide together what is the best option for you. 

Dr Beth 

0 622 views 0 Doctors agree Mon Mar 26 2018 09:52:47 GMT+0000 (UTC)
Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other answers tagged Dental or ask your own question now FOR FREE.