What are the best gummy smile treatments for me? (photo)

Dental Cosmetic Dentistry

Hi, I am considering to correct a gummy smile problem that I have. I know there are several treatments for gummy smile, just not too sure which is the most suitable for my case. Would appreciate to get some opinions, thanks!

Based on your current picture, here are some potential treatment options:

1. A gum lift/ gum recontouring surgery.

2. Botox on your upper lip 

3. Upper lip repositioning surgery

4. Upper Jaw repositioning surgery

Its hard to tell which one of these 3 options would work best for you without first examining you and taking dental xrays to determine your upper jaw structure.

It is also possible that to achieve a good result, you may need a combination of 2 or more of the above options.

Just based on experience looking at your picture, it is likely that you have a condition called : Vertical Maxillary Excess. 

This means that you have a very tall upper jaw. 

Treatment for this condition is usually using a surgical approach to lift and reposition the upper jaw.

However, it is best that you confirm this with a full and proper dental examination and consultation with dental xrays.

I hope you find my answer useful!

Kind Regards,

Dr Gerald Tan

Dr Gerald Tan
BDS, FRACDS, MJDFRCS

ELITE DENTAL GROUP

1 Grange Road
Orchard Building
#12-03 Singapore 239693

1161 views 28 Aug 2018

Thanks for the D2D. Yes, you are right in that there are many ways to fix a gummy smile! I can only guess from the picture, but it looks like your gummy smile is caused by a longer mid face and overactive upper lip.

Your teeth appear to be the correct length so lengthening of the teeth with a laser or gum surgery would not be an option for you.

A simple option would be to treat the overactive upper lip. It might possible to Botox your lip so it doesn’t move so much when you smile, thus exposing less gums.

The best results could possibly be achieved with a vertical maxillary impaction, where the surgeon embarks on corrective jaw surgery, and the whole upper jaw is repositioned upwards. Needless to say, this procedure is much more invasive and you will need much more time to heal compared to a Botox injection. 

If you are considering either option, it would be wise to consult an oral surgeon so they can better advice you after seeing your lips move in real life and the true proportions of your face.

Hope this helps! :)

Dr Marlene Teo
BDS (Hons), MS Periodontology

TP Dental Surgeons

TP Dental Surgeons

The Penthouse 391B Orchard Road Ngee Ann City Tower B #26-01

961 views 18 Sep 2018
Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other answers tagged Dental Cosmetic Dentistry or ask your own question now FOR FREE.