Do You Have 45 Seconds?
Leave Feedback
Please help us to improve DxD. Your opinion is important to us.
Leave Feedback

What are the best treatment options for cataract removal?

Eye Health Cataracts

I have been told that I have cataracts in both eyes. I would like to find out the best treatment options for removing my cataracts in Singapore.

The best treatments for cataract include:

Eyedrops – There are eyedrops which are said to slow down the progression of a cataract. This is only effective in the case of mild cataracts that are not yet affecting your vision.

New pair of spectacles – Sometimes, a simple change of your spectacle prescription could be all you need to do to improve your vision. This is because cataracts can bring about either an increase or decrease in your existing power. Again, this is only effective in the case of a mild cataract.

Surgery – Cataract removal with intraocular lens implantation is the most effective method to get rid of your cataracts and restore your vision. Nowadays, the most commonly used technique is phacoemulsification with or without femtosecond laser assistance. The method of choice is very dependent on each individual’s cataract and eye condition as well as the surgeon’s judgement. It is best to discuss the most appropriate method for yourself with your eye surgeon.

Dr Claudine Pang
MBBS, MRCSEd, FRCSEd, FAMS (Ophth)

ASIA RETINA EYE SURGERY CENTRE
290 ORCHARD ROAD
THE PARAGON

954 views 6 Sep 2018

While many can tolerate mild cataracts, moderate to dense cataracts are effectively treated by surgical management. 

The success rate of cataract removal surgery in Singapore is very high nowadays, and it is a worthwhile treatment for those whose eyesight and lifestyle had been affected by it. Depending on your type of cataract and also eye power, treatment options can be either with a conventional ultrasound-based surgery called phacoemulsification, or a combination of femtolaser and phacoemulsification. 

I find that harder cataracts and more “complex” cataracts tend to benefit from laser-assisted cataract surgery, and do offer this as an option to my cataract patients.

Also, during the surgery, right after the cataract is removed, an intraocular lens will be implanted to substitute for the focusing power of the original lens. Currently, in Singapore, we are lucky to have available many types of lenses, some of which can correct your eye power practically fully. In my clinic, I routinely offer lenses that can correct not just myopia and hyperopia, but also astigmatism and even presbyopia, customised to my patient’s desired eye power outcome.

Hope that helps! Cheerio

Dr Han

Dr Daphne Han
MBBS, MMed, MRCS, FRCS, FAMS

Ophthalmology, Singapore Medical Specialists Centre
290 ORCHARD ROAD
PARAGON
#09 - 23 TO 27, 30/31 Singapore 238859

904 views 15 Sep 2018
Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other answers tagged Eye Health Cataracts or ask your own question now FOR FREE.