What are the best treatment options for cataract removal?

The best treatments for cataract include:

Eyedrops – There are eyedrops which are said to slow down the progression of a cataract. This is only effective in the case of mild cataracts that are not yet affecting your vision.

New pair of spectacles – Sometimes, a simple change of your spectacle prescription could be all you need to do to improve your vision. This is because cataracts can bring about either an increase or decrease in your existing power. Again, this is only effective in the case of a mild cataract.

Surgery – Cataract removal with intraocular lens implantation is the most effective method to get rid of your cataracts and restore your vision. Nowadays, the most commonly used technique is phacoemulsification with or without femtosecond laser assistance. The method of choice is very dependent on each individual’s cataract and eye condition as well as the surgeon’s judgement. It is best to discuss the most appropriate method for yourself with your eye surgeon.

While many can tolerate mild cataracts, moderate to dense cataracts are effectively treated by surgical management. 

The success rate of cataract removal surgery in Singapore is very high nowadays, and it is a worthwhile treatment for those whose eyesight and lifestyle had been affected by it. Depending on your type of cataract and also eye power, treatment options can be either with a conventional ultrasound-based surgery called phacoemulsification, or a combination of femtolaser and phacoemulsification. 

I find that harder cataracts and more “complex” cataracts tend to benefit from laser-assisted cataract surgery, and do offer this as an option to my cataract patients.

Also, during the surgery, right after the cataract is removed, an intraocular lens will be implanted to substitute for the focusing power of the original lens. Currently, in Singapore, we are lucky to have available many types of lenses, some of which can correct your eye power practically fully. In my clinic, I routinely offer lenses that can correct not just myopia and hyperopia, but also astigmatism and even presbyopia, customised to my patient’s desired eye power outcome.

Hope that helps! Cheerio

Dr Han

Advances in technology now allow for 100% Bladeless Cataract surgery where a Femtosecond Laser (CATALYS) replaces the human hand to make the cuts into the eye without any sharp knives or blades, all in less than 60 seconds.

It performs many of the important and most challenging steps in cataract surgery which enables the surgeon to remove the cataract more gently by using much less energy and surgical time inside the eye, thus enabling faster post-op visual recovery for patients.

The biggest advantage of Bladeless Femtosecond (FS) Laser Cataract Surgery is that it allows perfect centration of the intraocular lens implant (IOL) to the centre of the visual axis. 3D optical coherence tomography scans and laser precision create perfectly sized and circular capsule openings for IOLs.

FS laser capsulotomies attain reproducible, uniformly circular and precise diameter compared to manual capsulotomies, improving refractive outcomes of multifocal / EDOF (extended depth of focus ) IOLs and maximising patients’ chances of achieving total spectacle independence.