What are the possible reasons for a healthy individual to suffer from a nosebleed?
There are many reasons for a nose bleed...otherwise known as epistaxis.
These are some of the reasons for epistaxis:
- Trauma- this could be physical trauma (such as nose-picking or injury to the nose),
- Environmental trauma(eg. in very dry climates)
- High blood pressure
- Congestion of the nose from allergy, infection(eg. sinusitis), non-allergic rhinitis, etc
- Use of blood-thinning medications
- Tumours, cancers of the nose(not that commonly seen but this needs to be excluded especially in our asian population where nose cancer is more prevalent)
- Inherited bleeding disorders
Please do see an ENT doctor for a nasal examination and a nasoendoscopy if you have epistaxis.
Dr Adrian Saurajen
MBBS (U of Sydney, Australia), FRCS (ENT) (RCS, Edinburgh, United Kingdom), FRCS (RCPS, Glasgow, United Kingdom), FAMS (Academy of Medicine, Singapore), M Med (Sleep Medicine) (U of Sydney, Australia)
6 Napier Road #10-04,
Gleneagles Medical Centre,
Ask Dr Gan Eng Cern: Chronic Coughs And Colds
Suffering from persistent coughs or frequent colds? Get advice on how to get rid of them from Dr Gan Eng Cern, an ENT Specialist with subspecialty in...READ MORE
A Complete Guide To ACL Tears In Singapore By An Orthopaedic Surgeon (2019)
One of the most common knee injuries is an ACL tear. In this post, I will address the most important things you need to know about ACL tears and your...READ MORE