What are the most common reasons for cataract surgery in Singapore?Eye Health Cataracts
I understand that cataract surgery is an elective procedure. In your experience, what are the most common reasons for cataract surgery?
The most common causes of cataracts are:
- Age – We will all develop a cataract when we get older. It’s a matter of how severe the cataract is and whether our vision is impaired by it, that determines whether or not we need surgery.
- Excessive sunlight exposure – We know that ultraviolet rays from sunlight exposure is a major risk factor for cataract formation. Hence, with cumulative exposure to sunlight without proper UV protection, we will need cataract surgery sooner than most.
- Improper or prolonged steroid use – Steroid medication in any form can lead to early cataract formation. This includes steroid eyedrops, steroid inhalers and nasal sprays.
- Diabetes mellitus – Elevated blood sugar level can lead changes in the lens proteins which bring about early cataract.
- High myopia – People with higher degrees of myopia or short-sightedness are more like to get cataract earlier in life.
Dr Claudine Pang
MBBS, MRCSEd, FRCSEd, FAMS (Ophth)
The Complete Guide To Seeing An Eye Specialist In Singapore (2019)
As an eye doctor practising for more than 25 years, I’ve written this guide for Singaporeans who are looking for an Opthalmologist in Singapore. Most...READ MORE
Types of Cataracts, Prevention, and What Happens After Surgery
You could call them one of the defining traits of the ‘getting old’ process. Cataracts are the clouding that occurs in the lens of the eye which leads...READ MORE