What are the next steps if I have a UTI infection?

Gynaecology Health & Fitness

I contracted a UTI and was prescribed Anti-biotics, Citravescent and some Potassium medication.

However, I started shivering all of a sudden and I noticed small blood crystals and blood streaks in my urine. I am not able to lie down at all as when I do, I feel the urge to pee again. Should I see the doctor again or go to the hospital?

Dr Paul Ang
Dr Paul Ang
"Family Physician with special interest in Mental Health"

Thank you for sharing your experience. 

1) I presume a UTI means a urinary tract infection? Yes that is quite a terrible experience - it can be very common and very uncomfortable.

2) The time scale is important for us to help you with your question. For example, how many days have you had your symptoms before you saw the doctor, how many days have you been on treatment, and when did you start to have these symptoms again.

3) The symptoms can be very scary, but could also be part of the expected symptoms of a UTI. Have you told your doctor about these symptoms when you were in his/her office?

4) Without all these time scales, it's hard to give a definite answer to your question, except that you should visit your doctor again if you are very worried.

5) You will be evaluated the same way whether you to a hospital AnE, a gynaecologist clinic, or a GP clinic. However, it is now the holiday season, and you might not be able to easily find a health care facility that is opened.

6) Generally the following symptoms might mean that you may need a dose of intravenous antibiotics, which can only be given in a hospital setting: high fever with chills, severe back pain, nausea, vomiting or very poor appetite.

Take care, and Happy Chinese New Year.

869 views 15 Feb 2018

Antibiotics usually takes 2-3 days to work. You should feel better after.

The red flags would be:

• If you still have persistent fever, or
  • If you have back pain on either side of your spine (urinary tract infection spreading upwards to your kidney)
844 views 15 Feb 2018
Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other answers tagged Gynaecology Health & Fitness or ask your own question now FOR FREE.