What are the next steps that I should take for a persistent cough of 6 weeks after bronchitis?

Ear, Nose & Throat Lungs

Hi, I was diagnosed with bronchitis about 6 weeks ago which I caught from a family member and was on antibiotics and medication. I also have sinusitis, for which I consistently using a nasal spray. The cough did get better initially, but from about 2-3 weeks ago I have been coughing quite badly and have consulted GPs thrice in this period. Breathing in hard would trigger the cough. I've had an X-Ray done last week for my lungs which shows that it is clear. What are the next steps I should take?

It can be quite common for a cough to persist for a while, after recovering from bronchitis. As for the next steps to take, you may want to check out these 2 similar questions that were previously answered by our colleagues here:

How do I get rid of a persistent cough?

What could be the cause of a persistent dry cough?

What could be the cause of chronic cough at night and in early morning? How can I stop the cough?

In most instances, your cough will gradually get better over time, with some of the symptomatic medication that your GPs would have prescribed. 

However, if it is still severely bothering you, I'd suggest for you to pay a visit to an ENT specialist who can look for other possible triggers for your cough, as covered in their answers above. Hope that helps!

458 views 9 May 2018
Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other answers tagged Ear, Nose & Throat Lungs or ask your own question now FOR FREE.