What are the pros and cons of surgical jaw reduction for a slimmer face? (photo)

Plastic Surgery Aesthetic Medicine Cosmetic Dentistry

I am looking towards surgical jaw reduction for a slimmer face. However, it appears that practitioners in Singapore mostly only offer non-surgical jaw reduction options, i.e. Botox. I would like to find out what are the pros and cons of surgical jaw reduction to obtain a slimmer face? For example, is the lack of providers of surgical jaw reduction due to (a) the complications that can occur with surgical jaw reduction, (b) the complexity of the surgery?

Based on your photo, there is some asymmetry along the chin which can be evened out easily with some fillers. If you would consider surgical options, genioplasty or bone shaving procedures can fix that permanently.

When it comes to bone work, your surgeon would need a CT scan of the face to look at the bone structure before determining if there is a need for jaw reduction. The complexities of such a surgery largely depends on the amount of reduction required.

• Minimal reduction done by shaving the bone is relatively simple.

• If resection of bone is required, it will be slightly more invasive but not too difficult as long as there is the CT scan for guidance. Orthodontic preparation of 6 to 12 months may be required before surgery.

In some cases, patients who have undergone jaw reduction may experience nerve injury, numbness of the mouth or lower lip, asymmetry, intraoral wound healing difficulties and these take time to heal. Typically, the downtime for such a procedure would be around 1 month.

If you are considering surgical options, it would be best for you to arrange a consultation with a plastic surgeon so they can assess your facial proportion in totality before recommending if you need any augmentation.

Dr Por Yong Chen

0 638 views 1 Oct 2018

Dear Allyj,

Thank you for your question. I don't have a complete photo to make an assessment. However, from what I can see it seems that you do not need jaw reduction to make your face slimmer. I am unable to visualise the rest of your face to make a complete assessment. Botox helps to reduce the size of your masseter muscle which can help to reduce the width of the jaw. 

There are numerous plastic surgeons in Singapore who perform jaw reduction as well as maxilla reduction surgery. With every procedure there may be complications. I would suggest that you make an in-person consultation with a surgeon that has expertise in this area so that they can give you advice on both non-surgical and surgical treatment options.

I hope this helps! Have a great week ahead!

Dr. Terence Goh

0 656 views 30 Sep 2018
Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other answers tagged Plastic Surgery Aesthetic Medicine Cosmetic Dentistry or ask your own question now FOR FREE.