What are the risks of scarring after skin tag removal?

Skin, Hair & Nails Aesthetic Medicine

My beautician advised me to remove skin tags on my face, but I refused as I’m afraid of scarring.

HI!

The process of removing skin tags usually requires us to use an energy based device or laser  to ablate (or burn) the skin tag.

Done by an inexperienced operator, it can leave dark marks (post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation) or dented (atrophied) scars.

On the other hand, done by an experienced operator with good post procedure instructions (sunblock and sun avoidance), recovery is good and easy!

I've gotten my own skin tags removed twice by different doctors and it was a generally satisfactory experience!

Try to consult a dr first if you are keen for skin tag removal!

Best regards

Dr Yanni

Scarring is defined as abnormal collagen remodelling of the wound of the skin resulting in textural deformity ie. depression or lumpiness. Skin tags are pendulous growths of excess skin usually occuring in the flexural regions of the body ie. the armpits, neck, or groin.  I normally use electrocautery under topical anesthesia to cut of the stem of the skin tag. 

This has to be done with proper asepsis. I would advise you to get it done in a clinic as they are required to prepare the skin with an antiseptic and use sterile instruments to remove the skin tags. It is very uncommon for scarring to occur as the wound is superficial. However, infection of the wound can increase the likelihood of scarring.  

123 views 18 Feb 2019

That is a really important question to consider when you are considering whether to have your skin tag removed. You should also ask yourself the reason for considering removing it whether it is solely for cosmetic effect or because the skin tag is causing irritation. Once this question has been answered it is easier to consider the risks / benefit ratio of having it removed as any procedure however simple would still carry some risk of complication.

Having said that it best you consider to have it removed by a trained operator with experience in doing it . The usual modalities include electrocautery, cryosurgery and laser ablation. 

Some of these options are only available at a doctor’s clinic.

If you have a history of easy scarring then the risk of scarring from this procedure will be higher although when properly done such a treatment is relatively safe. There might however be a chance of leaving a mark such as a brown discolouration (PIH), so proper after procedure measures must be adhered to especially sun avoidance and protection. 

Hope this helps 
Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other answers tagged Skin, Hair & Nails Aesthetic Medicine or ask your own question now FOR FREE.