What are the signs of gingivitis?

• Answered1 time
  • Viewed144 times

"Dentist with an interest in comprehensive dentistry."

Gingivitis is a reversible inflammation of the gums without associated alveolar bone loss. Gingivitis has multiple causes but the most common cause is bacterial plaque (a sticky mass of bacteria known as biofilm that grows clumped together on the surfaces of teeth and other appliances in the mouth such as braces or dentures).

When this plaque is allowed to accumulate in the gingival sulcus (a small gap that is naturally present between the gum margin and the tooth surface), gum inflammation develops as a reaction to the substances produced by plaque bacteria (endotoxins and bacterial proteins). As the layer of plaque gets thicker (as a result of a lack of thorough cleaning), oxygen gets blocked off from reaching the deeper layers inside the plaque structure. This encourages the growth of bacterial species that can thrive in an oxygen-poor environment. These species tend to be harmful and are implicated in the development of gum disease.

Up to 94% of adults have gingivitis, making it one of the most common oral diseases, along with tooth decay (caries).

Signs of gingivitis include:

1. Red swollen gums
  2. Gums that bleed during brushing or flossing
  3. Bad breath
  4. Thick plaque debris on the tooth surface
  5. Tartar deposits on the teeth (yellow/grey/dark brown hard material at the gumline)

Assessment should be done to exclude periodontitis (which results in irreversible alveolar bone loss around the teeth) which can exist in a continuum with gingivitis. Your dentist can only assess alveolar bone levels on dental x-rays.

Since gingivitis is reversible, thorough scaling and polishing can resolve it within a short period of time, if accompanied by meticulous oral hygiene. Using an electric toothbrush correctly, plaque disclosing tablets/gel, flossing or using an interdental brush daily is paramount for preventing recurrence. See your dentist for regular (6-12 monthly) professional scaling to help clean out hard-to-reach areas, remove stubborn stains and remove tartar buildup.

Not the answer you're looking for? Just ask your own quesiton now FOR FREE.

I'm a Periodontist, Not An Orthodontist!

I think it’s high time I spoke up for my specialty and discipline. I've been mistaken for an Orthodontist wayyy too many times. 🙄

I love my Orthodontist friends, but I need to tell the world that other specialities in Dentistry exist as well!!

Orthodontists are dentists that specialise in braces to align teeth, while we Periodontists specialise in treating gum disease. We're a fairly rare specimen in Singapore, but the numbers are growing.

Ask Dr Loh Poh Yen: Irritable Bowel Syndrome

Have you been experiencing abdominal bloating, pain or cramps in your belly, frequent diarrhoea or constipation? These are common signs of a functional gastrointestinal (GI) disorder known as Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS).

About 1 in 5 Singaporeans are affected by this common condition. While IBS is not life-threatening, it can still cause great anxiety and interferes with the patient's quality of life. 

Join Dr Loh Poh Yen as he hosts a QnA session where he answers all your questions on IBS. 

Your Complete Guide To GERD in Singapore (2020)

"A specialist in Digestive Health and Advanced Endoscopy"

Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease, or GERD, is a common digestive condition. It has been gaining attention, especially among the younger generations.

GERD occurs when gastric content frequently flows back up into the oesophagus resulting in a “burning” sensation behind the chest wall. It can also cause severe chest pain and throat discomfort.

Depending on the severity of GERD, it may have a big impact on your job and the way you live your life. It is important to find out the extent of injury caused by the acid burn during endoscopy. Your doctor will be able to exclude a premalignant condition known as Barrett’s oesophagus at the same setting.

There are a few options available to treat GERD. Patients may simply take over-the-counter remedies or take stronger medications prescribed by their doctor. In extreme cases, surgery may be required. For those diagnosed to have Barrett’s oesophagus, surveillance endoscopy is often recommended.