What can I do about knee pain that occurs during jogging?

Sport Medicine Orthopaedic Surgery
I feel ache/pain in my knees during my runs. The pain is not unbearable, and it stops once I stop running. How can I address the knee pain and prevent it from coming back?
With an ever increasing number of people that like to do sporting activities, especially running, knee pain while running is an extremely common occurrence. 

If your knee pain comes on while running, and stops once you stop running, often times it could be due to the increased strain on the sturctures within the knee. As the strain is removed when you stop running, the pain gets better.

The important thing to note is what structure is being strained, as sometimes, if not addressed, it may progress and can lead to further potential damage. 

If the knee pain is a chronic problem which has been going on for some time, I would suggest getting your knee examined by a doctor.

Sometimes, further radiological investigations like X-Rays or MRIs may be warranted.

This will allow us to detect potential causes, such as:
  • Tendinits
  • Cartilage
  • Meniscal problems
Management can then be targeted towards the problematic area once we identify it, so that we can address the cause of the pain, and prevent it from coming back. Hopefully this answers your question!

Best regards

Dr Sean Ng

1 375 views 13 Feb 2018

Thanks you for your question and although you can bear the pain, I can understand your concern.  

As Dr Sean has mentioned, there can be many different causes for knee pain and further information is needed to advise you more specifically.

Things to consider are:

1. How long the pain has been troubling you?

2. Where in the knee is the pain?

3. How soon after running does it come on?

4. How long does the pain last for?

5. Have you changed anything with regard to your running?

Often, running-related pain can be due to running style, training load of strength deficiencies.  

These can be identified through a clinical history, examination of your knee and maybe undergoing a video-gait-analysis.  

Sometimes, simple adjustments to your running style or improving conditioning can alleviate your symptoms.  

Seeing a physiotherapist, sports doctors or gait specialist can help.

Hope this helps.

BW.

1 368 views 13 Feb 2018
Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other answers tagged Sport Medicine Orthopaedic Surgery or ask your own question now FOR FREE.