What can I do to reduce the pain of a herniated disc?

Thank you for your question and I’m sorry to hear about your symptoms.  Three years is an awfully long time to be experiencing pain symptoms - I presume you have had and MRI scan to confirm the disc herniation?

Options basically fall under two categories - non-surgical (conservative) and surgical. Depending on your symptoms, it might be worth seeking another assessment prior to deciding one way or the other.

Non-surgical options include strengthening the back (particularly the paraspinal muscles) and pain management such as acupuncture or medications, facet joint injections (if there is an element of of this when you are assessed) or alternative therapies.

Surgical is of course more invasive but if conservative measures don’t work and you have clear cut (forgive the pun) nerve symptoms/signs and a positive MRI - it may be necessary.

I would start by visiting a Sports/MSK physician/physiotherapist and see what they can offer.  Reassessment sounds like the key with management of your activities and rehabilitation in the first instance.

I hope this helps.

Bw