For someone suffering from mild depression, what can I do to stop my constant headaches without relying on painkillers?

Age: 16 - 29
Neurology Health & Fitness Headaches

Thank you for your question - I can only imagine how frustrating this is for you.

My only word of advice might be to try exercise.  Sometime doing exercise can help with stress, tension and help your ability to achieve more restful sleep.

If you are experiencing symptoms such as flashing lights, nausea, blurring or vision, changes in sensation and bodily function, it might be worth discussing with your doctor and re-visiting the possibility of a specialist consultation/further imaging.

I hope this helps.

BW

Dr Dinesh Sirisena
MBBS, DCH, DRCOG, MRCGP, DIP, FSEM

Sports Medicine Centre

Sports Medicine Centre

Khoo Teck Puat Hospital

90 Yishun Central, Singapore 768828

375 views 7 Dec 2018
Dr Paul Ang
"Family Physician with special interest in Mental Health"

Thank you for sharing your concerns. 

Sounds like you are a young lady with "mild depression" who gets frequent headaches.

Most people can feel like they are at their wit's ends when dealing with such problems. There seem to be infinite treatment and test options. 

It can be hard to find a doctor who will give you an opinion on what should the next step be. 

But it does sound like your GP cares a lot about you and does give you sound advice. 

Perhaps you can go back and check with your GP again. For your information, less than 1% of patients with headache actually turn out to have a "brain tumour" and most of these have nothing to do with the headache. (ie they are accidentally discovered)

You can go back to check with your GP again and perhaps suggest that he/she refer you to see a psychologist for therapy (psychologists do NOT prescribe medications). 

Mindfulness and relaxation exercises might help with some headaches and reduce your reliance on medications. There might be no way the headaches can stop for good, but we certainly have good ways to cope with them. Our bodies are complex, the state of the mind affects our feeling of the symptoms greatly. These things can be discussed and the root of the problem can only be found in therapy.

Take care and I hope you find treatment soon.

Dr Paul Ang
MBBS, GDFM, MRCSEd

Zenith Medical Clinic

#01-374
266C Punggol Way

847 views 24 Mar 2018
Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other answers tagged Neurology Health & Fitness Headaches or ask your own question now FOR FREE.