What could be the cause of a brown band on my nail? (photo)

I've had a brown band on my fingernail for about a year or so. I was diagnosed with PCOS about 5 years ago, and have not followed up with the doctor despite my periods still being irregular.

I am not on any current medication. I did however, do a blood test recently and my T4 and TSH levels came out within the reference range. I am concerned that this may be an endocrinological problem and hence am seeking an opinion on this. Thank you!

What could be the cause of a brown band on my nail? (photo) 5a7d647e935566004fff80b6

Thank you for your question.

With regards to your PCOS. If you're having less than 6 periods a year, I would suggest seeing a doctor about it so that he/she will be able to give you some medicines to shed the womb lining and induce a period.

This is because if you're having very few periods a year, the womb lining becomes very thickened and if left untreated for many years confers a risk of cancer of the uterus. Further management of your PCOS will depend on whether or not you're currently pursuing fertility, and what your concerns are. For example management of acne or unwanted facial hair, management of infertility, management of weight gain etc, all of which are associated with PCOS.

Abnormal thyroid function test can also cause irregular periods. You mentioned having done a thyroid function test and having T4 and TSH within the reference range. If both T4 and TSH are within the reference range then your irregular periods are not thyroid related.

I would suggest seeing an endocrinologist/gynecologist/general practitioner who can evaluate your irregular periods and advise you accordingly.

995 views 10 Feb 2018
Not the question you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged Skin, Hair & Nails Endocrinology or ask your own question now FOR FREE.