What could cause numbness and a shooting pain at my hip?

Sport Medicine Orthopaedic Surgery Neurology Pain

I’m a 21 year old female, I have been experiencing some hip numbness (right side) since 3 days ago. It extends from the hip to the area above my panty line (i.e. above upper thigh). There’s some periodic shooting pain as well. There is no numbness anywhere else, and it's my first time experiencing this. May I ask what is the cause of it, and how can I recover from this?

Numbness associated with shooting pain are some characteristics of neuropathic pain. When the discomfort is isolated, it indicates a higher likelihood of a localised cause.

Likely causes include 

1. Meralgia parasthetica, or also known as pain symptoms arising an irritated lateral femoral cutaneous nerve.

2. Another nerve which may cause pain symptoms in this area is the femoral branch of the genitofemoral nerve.

A more complete assessment is warranted to rule out other causes, for example, from spinal pathology such as a slipped disc.

Treatment is generally divided into

1. Medication. Apart from Panadol (which most likely is not helping), you may ask your healthcare practitioner regarding anti-neuropathics.

2. Physical therapy. Activity in the affected limb is always beneficial to reduce pain-avoidance behavior, mobilise the affected area and improve overall sense of well-being

3. Intervention. Ultrasound guided injections directed at the affected area would help. Medication may range from saline (salt water) to dilate the area surrounding the nerve to local anesthetic and steroids. You may wish to discuss this further with your healthcare practitioner.

It's hard to work out where your symptoms are located without actually seeing you, but numbness and pain around the front of the hip, in the absence of back pain, could be due to a condition called Meralgia Paraesthetica. 

This is were the lateral femoral cutaneous nerve becomes is compressed and hence the symptoms.  In most situations it settles with rehabilitation or a guided cortisone injection - something we have done quite a few times in clinic.

I have attached a link for your information, but I would suggest seeing someone for this if it is becoming more intense or prolonged.

Hope this helps.

BW

314 views 13 Dec 2018
Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other answers tagged Sport Medicine Orthopaedic Surgery Neurology Pain or ask your own question now FOR FREE.