What does it mean to have low blood pressure and a slow heart rate?

Cardiology Health & Fitness Sport Medicine

Everytime I go the docs, they tell me that I have low blood pressure and a slow heart rate. What does this mean?

DxD has provided you with an excellent answer and my only additional advice to you would be to get an assessment if you are remotely symptomatic. 

As mentioned, symptoms typically include light headedness, dizziness, chest pain or breathlessness.  That said, if you are very active and sporty, this might be "normal" for you.  

If you are concerned, seeing a Physician or GP might be a good starting point, and they can take a more in depth history/clinical assessment, obtain basic investigations and then refer onwards if necessary.

I hope this helps.

BW

0 54 views 13 Jan 2019
Contact Doctor

We always check blood pressure and heart rate when we see a patient at clinic, and trust me, a low heart rate and low blood pressure is a fairly common incidental finding - especially amongst slim, smallish Asian women. 

Your blood pressure is linked to heart rate - because your heart acts as a pump that pumps blood around your body, a slower "pump" will result in a lower heart rate as well.

Doctors consider a heart rate of < 60 beats per minute to be low. The typical heart rate range is from 60 to 100 beats per minute while awake. 

If your heart rate is slow, but you don’t have symptoms, there’s no reason to worry.

David Beckham's resting heart rate is probably in the region of 30s - 40s when he was an active athlete - a low heart rate can be completely normal and healthy in a people who exercise heavily. 

What are the risks of a low heart rate?

One of the biggest concerns of a low heart rate is a condition called syncope, or fainting.

This means a loss of consciousness due to insufficient blood flow to your brain.

How slow is too low a heart rate?

If your heart rate drops into the 30s, you might not get enough oxygen to your brain, making fainting, lightheadedness, and shortness of breath possible.

Otherwise, even if your heart rate is in the region of 40s - 60s, but you experience any of the following symptoms with your low heart rate, you should have a discussion with your doctor: 

• Feeling faint
  • Dizziness
  • Weakness
  • Chest discomfort
  • Heart palpitations or flutters

There could be other medical causes behind your low heart rate, which may necessitate medical treatment, according to the cause of your low heart rate.

0 63 views 13 Jan 2019
Contact Doctor
Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other answers tagged Cardiology Health & Fitness Sport Medicine or ask your own question now FOR FREE.