What information should I include on a Medical ID bracelet?

Health & Fitness Singapore Healthcare
I have multiple medical conditions and experience fainting spells frequently. What kind of information should I include on a Medical ID bracelet? Are such things even used by medical professionals in Singapore? I have, among other issues, Asthma, Bipolar disorder, Fibromyalgia, PCOS, collapsed nasal valve, low blood pressure, abnormal growths in my liver and kidney, and am allergic to clarithromycin and Avelox. The ID can only fit 45 characters - how should I prioritise what to put down, aside from ICE information? Thank you for your advice.
Dr Paul Ang
Dr Paul Ang
"Family Physician with special interest in Mental Health"

Thank you for asking this interesting question. Your medical ID is supposed to keep critical information, such as drug allergies and main medical diagnoses.

I think "KLACID and AVELOX ALLERGY + your biodata + blood group" might be the only things that can fit.

542 views 15 Nov 2018

Hi, Medical IDs bracelets, or Medical Alert Bracelets, can be helpful for doctors treating you, especially in an emergency situation.

The main purpose of a medical ID is to alert healthcare workers (including paramedics and nurses) to your specific medical or allergic condition at the point in time when they're about to administer emergency treatment.

This allows you to receive proper treatment without delay. 

Hence, including info that could help in a life or death situation, such as severe food or medical allergies, blood group, next of kin contact info etc, would be most helpful. 

You should visit a doctor to discuss the most important things to include on your bracelet.  

SMA does run a service in Singapore for medical IDs, called the MEDIC AWAS programme. You may want to check that out. It allows for more info to be recorded as it comes in the form of a card too, which you can carry around with you. 

556 views 15 Nov 2018
Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other answers tagged Health & Fitness Singapore Healthcare or ask your own question now FOR FREE.