What injections are used to reduce inflammation of a pimple?

Acne & Scars

Hi. My doctor uses this brand, Shincort, to reduce the inflammation of a pimple. I did research online and only found information on Kenalog shots for acne. Is Shincort safe and effective for acne? Are there any differences in effectiveness of the various types of injections used for reducing the inflammation of acne?

Hello YF

Thank you for your question. Shincort/Kenalog contains triamcinolone acetonide which is a synthetic corticosteroid that can be injected into acne lesions to reduce the inflammation.

It is safe and effective for nodulocystic acne lesions if it is injected in a controlled and diluted amount. 

Other types of acne lesions (comedones/ papules) are usually treated with topical agents (antibiotic gel/ retinoid), chemical peels (salicylic acid) and oral tablets (antibiotic/ isotretinoin) depending on the severity. Speak to a doctor to find out more. Hope this helps!

Dr Jiwei Wu 

0 802 views 8 May 2018

Shincort and Kenalog are both safe and effective for Nodulocystic acne if injected in the correct dilution and amount. 

Shincort and Kenalog are brands of triamcinolone acetonide. There are minimal differences in effectiveness amongst various brands of corticosteroids. The experience of the doctor in performing these injections matters more.

As with all intra-lesional corticosteroid injections, there is a small risk of skin atrophy if excessive amounts are used.

The key to getting effective results is to seek treatment early so that the inflammation is more easily controlled.

Hope that this helps!

Best regards,

0 799 views 8 May 2018

Thank you for your question.

In the grand scheme of things, both of them are steroids, and the technique used is *intralesional steroid injection*.

So to answer your question, as my 2 colleagues have shared expertly, they are equally effective.

Dr Daniel Chang 

0 775 views 9 May 2018

My esteemed colleagues have said it well. It really is a brand difference and the right dilution of the steroids is really key, together with the right depth of the injections.

Do note that frequent injections has a risk of skin dimpling due to a degree of lipodystrophy. So all medical treatments should be done appropriately.

0 764 views 10 May 2018

Agree with my colleagues who have all expertly answered your question. 

I would like to point out that frequent intralesional steroid injections has an incremental risk of skin atrophy, steroid acne and even forming a sterile abscess. Therefore, the technique and dosage of steroid used (based on size of the cystic acne) is key to minimise the risk of above side effects.

When possible, prevention is key when it comes to treatment of acne; with a good cleanser for oil control and moisturiser- suitable for your skin type.

Cheers,

Dr David Deng

0 741 views 14 May 2018
Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other answers tagged Acne & Scars or ask your own question now FOR FREE.