What is the best laser vision correction method for high myopia of more than 1000 degrees?

Eye Health

I'm 21 years old, but my eyesight is at least 1,200 for both sides. I've been wearing contact lenses since 6 years ago, and am now considering laser vision correction.

There are no things such as "the best laser vision correction method". However, considering that your eye degree is pretty high, Advanced Surface Ablation (ASA) procedures such as TransPRK and epiLASIK would most likely be more suitable for you.

The basis of all laser vision correction procedures involve the reshaping of the cornea. As a surface-based procedure, TransPRK and epiLASIK requires minimum amount of cornea tissue as vision correction begins right on the surface of the cornea. Generally, Advanced Surface Ablation procedures are able to correct up to 1,200 degrees of myopia, depending on your cornea thickness.

I would strongly advise you to carry out a detailed research on the different types of procedures available in the market, such as through online information, books, or even LASIK forums.

As you are a contact lens wearer, please be advised that you must stop contact lenses wear before coming down to the clinic for a eye evaluation/ suitability test.

Wishing you all the best in the journey towards a clear vision!

769 views 22 Oct 2018

Hi Wxuan97,

Myopia in excess of -1000 degrees is certainly fairly extreme. In every patient considering refractive surgery, you should have a detailed eye assessment and detailed discussion with your ophthalmologist to determine the most suitable options available to you. 

Many patients find that if there is sufficient anterior chamber depth in their eye, an implantable collamer lens to correct their vision is an excellent, and safe option for them. 

Other patients would consider pursuing the idea of laser refractive surgery and understand that they need to ensure sufficient residual corneal tissue remains, that post-laser inflammation / haze is controlled, and that requiring laser enhancement is a possibility if they pursue this option. 

Again - its best to discuss your options in detail with your ophthalmologist after your complete eye assessment. Best of luck with your surgery, and I'm sure you'll be delighted with either option you choose to go with!

ESG

786 views 21 Oct 2018

Based on the level of your myopia, I would recommend Implantable Collamer Lens (ICL). The main concern for correcting your eyes with laser refractive surgery is the need to thin your corneas to a large degree which may give rise to greater risks of corneal ectasia and night vision issues of haloes and glare.

However, it would be important for you to have a thorough eye evaluation to ensure your eyes are indeed suitable for ICL implantation.

715 views 26 Oct 2018
Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other answers tagged Eye Health or ask your own question now FOR FREE.