What is the best solution for active cystic acne and scarring? (photo)

Acne & Scars Aesthetic Medicine

I am a 24 year old male. I am suffering from pimples and dark acne spots. What is the best solution for my condition?

You look like you are suffering from mild to moderate papulo-nodular acne. I do not see any acne cysts so far. I would likely recommend a mix of lifestyle changes, skincare/topical creams and possibly medicines to improve your acne. 

Lasers can also help resolve acne and I commonly use it to complement medical treatments for acne. The lasers/light treatments that usually benefit acne include long pulse visible/infrared lasers and to a lesser extent, IPL (not suitable for darker skin types). I would not suggest the usual quick fix Q-switch to treat your acne. Hope this helps!

1768 views 17 Jul 2018

There seems to be clogged pores, acne nodules and post acne marks on your cheek, though your photo is not very clear. A physical examination by a doctor will be ideal to verify the extent and severity of your condition. 

Acne is a very common skin condition especially during adolescence and young adulthood, and males may tend to suffer from more severe form of acne associated with scarring. Furthermore patients can at times be psychologically upset by this condition, so acne should be treated soon if possible. 

I fully agree with Dr Chua's recommendation of treatments including topical creams, oral medications (eg antibiotics, isotretinoin, etc) to control your acne problem. As Dr Chua also mentioned, medical lasers can also be used to complement acne treatments especially on the post acne marks.

So I would recommend you to speak to an experienced doctor in this area to explore on the most suitable treatment options for your case. Hope this helps!

Cheers!

Dr David Ng C H

1729 views 18 Jul 2018

You do have a range of acne issues namely active acne papules, clogged pores/ closed comedones and Post-Inflammation Hyperpigmentation (PIH) ie those dark spots.

Treatment for your acne will include:

-  Topical antibiotic creams 

-  Oral medications (antibiotics, isotretinoin)

-  Lasers that target acne 

-  Extraction can also be done on areas that are clogged 

For the PIH areas, topical lightening creams and lasers are effective in lightening those dark spots.

It is imperative to get your acne under control so as to prevent more PIH from occuring.

Hope this helps. All the best!

1730 views 18 Jul 2018

You have a combination of papulo-nodular acne and post-inflammatory hyper-pigmentation (PIH) which are the dark acne spots. 

I suggest treating your Active Acne first followed by treating the post-inflammatory hyper-pigmentation (PIH). This is to prevent new PIH spots from forming.

I usually combine several treatments for better effects. 

Treatment for your acne will include:

- Antibiotic creams 

- Oral medications (antibiotics, isotretinoin)

For the PIH areas, lightening creams and lasers are effective in lightening those dark spots.

Acne and Post Acne Marks are a treatable condition. 

Speak to an experienced doctor to explore the most suitable treatment options!

1706 views 18 Jul 2018

Repeating everything would be pointless, so in my own practice:

A well planned isotretinoin treatment with chemical peels would be my preferred option in your case.

1636 views 22 Jul 2018
Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other answers tagged Acne & Scars Aesthetic Medicine or ask your own question now FOR FREE.