What is the cause and treatment for male hair loss? How much does hair transplantation cost in Singapore?

Hair transplantation in Singapore varies and can cost anything between $6 to $8 per graft.

On average we perform 1000 to 1500 grafts for each patient. A detailed consultation discussing this procedure is the first step in deciding if you are a suitable candidate for hair transplant. Men are usually good candidates for this procedure.

At my clinic we also provide post-transplant care, this enhances the survival rate of the transplanted follicles and improves patient satisfaction.

You can read this article for more information about hair loss treatment in Singapore.

You are most likely suffering from Male Pattern Hair Loss. It is due to Dihydrotestosterone hormone wreaking havoc on the front and top hair follicles on your head.

There’s 2 ways to restore hair in your case (and for many other men).

1. Hair Transplantion

Its the most effective method to restore hair as strong hair follicles from the back of the head are extracted one by one and then re-implanted on the front and top of the scalp . These follicles will never be subject to balding (notice how some old men still retain the U shape hairstyle around the sides and back of their head despite the top being empty ?)

IT IS THE ONLY METHOD TO PUT MORE HAIR FOLLICLES INTO YOUR SCALP.

2. Medical hair treatment

Finasteride blocks the DHT and is highly recommended for oral usage (3% of users may have some sexual side effects ). It makes existing hair follicles thick and strong again.

Minoxidil increases blood flow to the scalp and encourages hair growth.

Low level laser therapy (igrow ) also stimulates growth and strengthening of existing hair follicles.

Korean scalp stimulation introduces growth factors to the scalp to encourage healthy hair follicles and their growth .

In summary , it is best to perform a hair transplant and then maintain the hair follicles (old and new ) with the medical treatments listed.

In Singapore, Manual Hair Transplant costs $5-8/graft and ARTAS ROBOTIC Hair Transplant costs $8.5-$10.50/graft.

It does indeed sound like male pattern hair loss, due to male hormone (testosterone). And unfortunately you’re right – finasteride works by blocking testosterone, which results in all the side effects like erectile dysfunction etc.

I’d recommend starting with a topical shampoo called Minoxidil – that has minimal side effects, although hair regrowth tend to be thinner.

Hair transplant is indeed a lot cheaper in Thailand, but you have to be aware that follow-up care will not be possible. I recently had a friend come to me to check out his scalp after the op in Thailand. If something had gone wrong, it will be very hard to get your original doctor to review and rectify it.

Dr Paul Ang
5.0

"Family Physician with special interest in Mental Health"

Thank you for your question.

Sounds like a terrible problem.

I’m not aware of any “natural” methods except “self castration” as your raging male hormone could be the culprit. If u notice, a lot of power males have no hair, every wondered why??

There are medications which we can apply: minoxidil which very safe, just painful on the wallet: i think <100 per box.

Otherwise oral medications to take, that one might have possible side effects like male sexual dysfunction.

Sure surgery is a possible option if you have tried and failed all of the above.

I’m not sure exactly how much it costs, according to other patients in the thousands.

I have seen some patients shop around in Korea.