latte from Singapore asked a question

What is the cost for private and public treatment of depression in Singapore?

Mental Health Singapore Healthcare Psychiatry

My mood has been very low for a few years and it's to the point I'm passively-suicidal and antisocial. It is very hard for me to muster up the courage to seek treatment so I would like to know more about the costs involved in getting depression treated in Singapore, in both the private and public healthcare sector. Thank you.

Hi latte, 

Thank you for posing your question for the benefit of everyone.

It can be difficult to answer your question because it really depends on many things.

Cost really shouldn't be your only concern in seeking treatment. It really isn't shopping.

You should start by seeking the advice of your trusted GP if you have one.

Some GPs like us are more trained in mental health problems, there are a few of them out there, and they probably are the first you might want to ask first for advice.

Depending on the severity of your condition, if you only require treatment from a GP with special interest in mental health, and he/she is willing to get you sorted out, I believe that would be the most cost effective for you. But price wise, a GP consultation probably would set you back $20-50.

If you really have a depression that can be diagnosed, some clinics might be able to claim medisave and if you are really poorly, you might even have a health assist card that can help with further subsidies.

The next cheaper option might be to get a referral from a polyclinic to see a psychiatrist at the government hospitals. Polyclinic visit $20. Specialist visit: $40-60. 

Medication prices vary depending on what you need, the prices can be the same at some GP clinics and the hospital due to some special arrangements. But hey, you might not even need medications.

Some patients might benefit more from psychotherapy, or "talk therapy", the effects of this treatment usually lasts way longer than medications. So although the costs up front might be more, over the long term, it could actually be more cost effective to see a psychologist.

Of course you also can see a private psychiatrist, some of them are really good.

As you can see, it is starting to get very very complicated and this is just the surface.

I would advise you to stick to these options. The "others" might have higher chances of making you feel worse than before you started. Take care.

0 191 views 0 Doctors agree Fri Aug 31 2018 11:48:40 GMT+0000 (UTC)
Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other answers tagged Mental Health Singapore Healthcare Psychiatry or ask your own question now FOR FREE.