What is the difference between Rejuran and skinboosters?

Aesthetic Medicine

Came across Rejuran on Facebook and wonder if it’s able to remove laughing lines, and plump up my cheeks.

Hi Catsygoh,

Rejuran is a new concept of skin healing booster that regenerates skin cells from deep inside by activating fibroblast proliferation and collagen synthesis.

Popularly known as 婴儿针, Rejuran contains PDRN (polynucleotides tide) that restores the extra cellular matrix by activating self regenerating power and improving skin condition fundamentally from deep inside.

The PDRN is safe and stable with good biocompatibility giving a long lasting and scaffolding effect. This results in improvement on skin elasticity and hydration, recovery of skin balance and improving skin tone and texture.

By skin balance we are referring to the restoration of the skin PH, regulation of sebum secretion (especially useful in those with oily and clogged skin ). 

Through the skin regeneration effect, it results in thickening of the skin and formation of a strong defence barrier against environment and non environmental factor that cause premature aging of the skin.

Most people are already familiar with the hyaluronic acid based skin boosters treatment. However some may not know that the term “ SkinBoosters” was originally trademarked by Galderma when marketing their range of Restylane Vital and Vital light fillers.

These Restylane fillers regenerates hydrobalance while enhancing elasticity and rehydrates the skin from within. The hydro lifting effect raises the contours and profiles of the face resulting in a firm and youthful jawline.

When patients ask me what is more suitable for their skin I usually check their skin condition especially with regards to the skin hydration.

When skin dryness is the predominant problem I will recommend the Restylane SkinBooster treatments first usually a series of 3 treatments spaced one month apart.

Of course these treatments can also be combined with Rejuran to achieve a synergistic effect although not at the same session.

Rejuran is administered as intradermal injection in a similar manner as Restylane skin booster injections. A series of 3 treatments one month apart is recommended for continued and lasting effect.

0 281 views 14 Dec 2018
Contact Doctor

Hi Catsygoh,

Before I answer, let’s find out what Rejuran is.

Rejuran is a polynucleotide extract derived from Salmon fish germ cell.

It can rejuvenate skin cells and improve skin tone and elasticity, to give smoother, firmer skin. It may also have a skin whitening effect.

As it is packed with growth factors, it can help damaged skin to recover and heal fast, keeping your skin young and healthy.

However, let’s call a spade a spade. It is NOT A FILLER and thus you should not expect it to remove laughing lines, and plump up your cheeks.

For that, you will need either Hyaluronic Acid fillers (Teosyal / Restylane/ Juvederm) or Collagen-Stimulating Fillers (Ellanse/ Radiesse).

0 2224 views 25 Jan 2018
Contact Doctor

Dear catsygoh,

I am in agreement with Dr Israr. If you are looking to reduce laugh lines and cheek plumpness, you will need fillers. Or augment it with other treatments like threadlift, lasers.

To your second question, the effects of skin boosters and Rejuran are different.

Skin boosters work by being injected and help in drawing moisture from deep within, and from topical sources as they are hydrophilic (water loving). This helps to improve the hydration status, and explains why it is very popular in colder cities like Shanghai and Beijing.

Rejuran however works by augmenting skin healing and reducing skin sensitivity. Some doctors feel that there is an improvement of conditions like eczema and pigmentation. It does not per se improve the hydration status.

A combination of both therapies would yield great results. Do consider that.

0 2218 views 25 Jan 2018
Contact Doctor

Dear Catsygoh,

Volume loss from cheeks definitely need fillers – Rejuran or any other aesthetic devices are no replacement for good quality fillers.

There are a range of fillers ranging from temporary hyaluronic acid (brands like Teosyal, Juvederm, Belotero, Restylane) or semi-permanent options like Ellanse and Radiesse.

My advice is to find a doctor who is experienced with using a wide range of fillers to best help you with the volume loss.

Laugh lines however are more complicated.

• Volume loss in this area of the face may also need some fillers in the deep plane.
  • If the laugh line is a static wrinkle, it can benefit from superficial fillers/skinboosters/and even Rejuran.
  • Lastly, if the laugh lines are caused by hyperactive lip elevators, these can be relaxed by some simple Botulinum toxin injections (Botox/Dysport/Xeomin)
0 2214 views 25 Jan 2018
Contact Doctor

Dear Catsy,

Thank you for your question. As my esteemed colleagues have given you a very comprehensive answer, allow me to summarise in 3 points.

In summary:

1. Rejuran – Great for skin repair and healing, hence reducing skin sensitivity.
  2. Skinboosters – Great for hydration.
  3. Dermal Fillers – Helpful for volume restoration and enhancement, hence perfect to fill laugh lines and pump up your cheeks.
0 2208 views 25 Jan 2018
Contact Doctor
Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other answers tagged Aesthetic Medicine or ask your own question now FOR FREE.