DXD Admin from Singapore asked a question

What is the ideal age for LASIK?

Hi Dr. Ethan,

Thank you for sharing your LASIK experience at eagle eye, and I too am seriously considering the procedure done by Dr. Theng. I am, however, trying to figure out if getting LASIK done before medical school will be a good idea. I’ve read/heard mixed advice about this (considering the potential “eye strain” from studying that might lead to vision changes, or, from a different perspective, the convenience and overall “good feeling” that comes about with freedom from glasses). While trying to withhold my eagerness and desperation for this freedom – which have been suppressed for years – I’m wondering what your thoughts on this are as a physician and former medical student. In hindsight, would you have done LASIK as a student? And, equally important, if yes, what might be a good time frame (for rest & recovery) between LASIK and the start of medical school? Thank you for your friendly advice.

Dr Ethan
Dr Ethan
Answered on Fri Jan 26 2018 02:17:31 GMT+0000 (UTC)

Hi Oculusreparo – great name. Guessing you are a Harry Potter fan.

Myself? Yes, I’d have done it before med school all things considered. The main consideration in your situation is really that you are old enough that your vision has more or less stabilized – by 18/19 this should be the case.

If you check out his Instagram feed @juliantheng – he’s recently done LASIK on his son and daughter who are both in JC (it would appear).

Re: hitting the books after LASIK – I did something similar just a few days after the op too having to work around computers and all (arguably worse on the eyes), but was specifically reassured by Dr Julian that using computers after the first 1-2 days is perfectly fine. Nor did I suffer anything for it either.

So...

0 102 views 0 Doctors agree Fri Jan 26 2018 02:17:31 GMT+0000 (UTC)
Dr E-Shawn Goh
Ophthalmologist
Dr E-Shawn Goh
Ophthalmologist
Answered on Fri Jan 26 2018 02:18:35 GMT+0000 (UTC)

Absolutely YAY! As long as your spectacle refraction has stabilised, you have been off your contact lenses for over 5 days, and are over 18 (please bring a parent or legal guardian to give us permission to do the surgery), or 21 years old (You can come by yourself or bring a friend for moral support!) you may certainly consider coming for an assessment and performance of LASIK! Doing so earlier in your life means that you get to enjoy your spectacle-free vision for an even longer period of time.

For a long-time many patients always wondered why their Ophthalmologist was still wearing glasses? There are many of the current generation of Ophthalmologists that have had their laser-refractive surgery done already so don’t let the ambition of a micro-surgical residency dissuade you from LASIK. The options of LASIK, PiXL or ICL now...

0 102 views 0 Doctors agree Fri Jan 26 2018 02:18:35 GMT+0000 (UTC)