Need COVID-19 guidance? Check out our latest resources

What is the ideal length of time between subcision and fractional CO2 laser treatment for acne scars?

• Answered3 times
  • Viewed3,858 times

To address your questions:

1. Generally subcision (I assume with some collagen stimulators) will lead to collagen stimulation, and this is also what CO2 laser aims to do. Some experts suggest that an interval of at least 4 – 6 weeks is kept between each collagen-stimulating treatment for optimal results. There is no real good answer – as social downtime and other considerations have to be taken into account by the doctor in recommending the treatments.

My personal preference though is not to stretch the treatment too wide apart – 6 months does seem to me to be a little long. I would expect that would lead to reduced efficacy and perceived poorer results due to the natural progression of collagen breakdown over time.

2. Fractional lasers in general have a risk of hyperpigmentation. They also can result in acne outbreaks in some patients (especially those with active acne), and even re-activate herpes/cold sores. But these are generally manageable adverse events. Social downtime is probably the main problem patients face.

As such, do get your treatments done early to have optimal results, and your doctor should be able to advise you further on the treatments.

Wish you well!

Thank you for your questions. Dr Chua and Dr Lee have answered your questions well.

Unfortunately, there is no fixed protocol for doctors to treat acne scars. Understanding patient’s existing medical and skin conditions, severity of the acne scars, healing ability, and affordability of downtime is crucial.

This will lead to customisation of treatment plan using appropriate tools, to achieve good results.

A few things that I have learnt from my previous years of experience.

1. Control your acne first before fixing your scars
  2. Different type of acne scars need different type of treatment
  3. Younger patients respond to acne scar treatment better
  4. Combination treatments give better results

Listed below are a few ways to treat mild to moderate rolling acne scars.

1. Subcision
  2. Dermal fillers
  3. Fractional CO2/erbium glass/thulium/picosecond lasers
  4. Radiofrequency microneedling

I do combine subcision, dermal fillers and fractional lasers in one session for some of my cases. Not all the clinics will have the above mentioned tools.

Please discuss with your doctor regarding pros and cons of available treatments, estimated downtime and cost for the procedures.

All the best!

Thank you for your questions and pictures. The collagen stimulatory effects from subcision and fractional CO2 are synergistic and will work well when done together in a certain time frame. Many doctors do it in the same session actually.

Recently though, a new study suggests that doing your subcision two to three weeks apart from the fractional resurfacing session yields marginally better results.

Beside hyperpigmentation, these are some possible risks of fractional CO2 treatment:

1. Prolonged redness

2. Swelling

3. Infection or acne outbreak

4. Dryness

5. Hypopigmentation

Not the answer you're looking for? Just ask your own question now FOR FREE.

An Aesthetic Doctor Reviews Acne Scar Removal Treatments in Singapore (2020)

"Doctor with interest in Aesthetics and Lasers"

Dealing with acne in your youth is bad enough, but the scars left behind can be a real nightmare.

New patients often ask me 2 common questions:

• “I’ve tried one laser session before. Why don’t I see results yet?”
  • “I still have acne scars and uneven skin texture despite 10 sessions of chemical peels. Why?”

This is why I have decided to write this article to help those of you who are struggling with acne scars. The best outcomes usually result from a combination of different methods, individualised to your skin type and scar! Here's what you need to know. 

Scars, Pores, And Milia: A Singaporean Doctor Answers Readers’ Skin Questions
Treating Active Acne Versus Acne Scars: The Differences Explained

These 3 Dermal Fillers Can Work For Acne Scars: An Aesthetic Doctor Discusses

"Dedicated to the ethical practice of Aesthetic Medicine"

Scar tissue can be hard to eradicate and clear off, especially in people with persistent acne problems. Treatments and products have flooded the Singapore market and various solutions for dealing with acne marks and scars can be confusing too. Fillers can be effective for facial sculpting, but how well do they actually work for scarring?

Dr Chin Yee Choong is the medical director of Dermclear Aesthetic & Laser Clinic. 
He responded to a couple of DoctorxDentist reader questions about the differences between the many fillers available in Singapore, and whether or not they are effective solutions for scars. Here is his advice.

The Ultimate Guide to Fractional Lasers by an Aesthetic Doctor in Singapore (2020)

Having smooth skin that is free of acne scars and wrinkles is the dream of many. There is little we will not do to achieve skin that becomes the envy of others.

As an aesthetic doctor who specialises in customised laser treatments, I have written this article about fractional lasers to help guide you in choosing which fractional laser treatment works best for you.