What is the normal progression of an ear infection, and when should I seek help?

• Answered3 times
  • Viewed1,178 times

Oh dear, I know exactly how awful it must be to have to suffer ear pain from an eardrum infection because I have experienced it myself before!

Eardrum infections commonly result from having had a bad cold or flu as the same "bug" that caused the flu, tracks up the pressure tubes (Eustachian tubes) which lead to your eardrums. 

I wonder what antibiotic you have been prescribed? The "bugs" which cause ear infections may sometimes be resistant to simple penicillin/amoxicillin which is what many family practitioners usually prescribe. I hope you're on Augmentin or Klacid because they are the best antibiotics for eardrum infections. 

If your ears are still painful and blocked, there might be infected fluid or pus  trapped behind your eardrums which may need to be drained to relieve the pain and improve your hearing. Draining the trapped fluid behind the infected eardrum may be done safely in clinic  after applying some "magic" cream inside the ear to numb it so that this minor procedure may be performed comfortably.

You should definitely see an ENT specialist instead of heading down to the A&E because the ENT specialist has a microscope and a fantastic repertoire of refined specialised instruments with which to examine your ear under high magnification and to perform the eardrum drainage procedure if necessary.

There really is no advantage to continue waiting any longer if your ears haven't improved after 3 days of antibiotics. Please go get your ears carefully checked out by your friendly ENT specialist!

Ear infections can be really painful as the middle ear cavity is really small, about only 1.5 cm3 volume. So when fluid and infection builds up behind the ear drum, the pressure and inflammation can be excruciating. In some cases, the ear drum bursts, which relieves the pressure, but to allow the perforation to heal, the infection would still have to be treated.

If it is a viral infection, antibiotics do not help. If your ear infection was associated with an upper respiratory tract infection (URTI) like a cough, cold or flu - medications to control the URTI would help resolve the middle ear infection faster too.

If it is a bacteria infection, then the antibiotic type and dose would need to be appropriate. 

The blocked sensation would likely result in some reduction of hearing sensitivity. Usually, that improves over a week after the infection improves. However, it may take even 2 to 3 weeks if it is very viscous fluid in the middle ear.

Should there be a persistent blocked sensation, it is better that you see an ENT to get the ear drum and hearing checked. We need to get to the underlying cause of why things are not getting better. For example, there may be allergies, nose conditions or middle ear conditions that need to be evaluated and treated.

Kind regards,

Dr Lynne Lim

The duration of an ear infection depends on the severity of the infection and if it is an outer ear or middle ear infection. 

If it is an outer ear infection (known as otits externa or swimmer's ear), you will lilely need the debris, pus and wax in your ear canal suctioned out (usually by an ENT Specialist). Together with antibiotic ear drops, this helps fasten the recovery of the ear infection (typically recovers within 1-2 weeks).

If it is a middle ear infection, it may take 1-2 weeks (if there is no fluid  in the middle ear) or up to 2-3 months (if there is fluid in the middle ear) to clear up. If you have received treatment for 3 days without any improvement in symptom, you should see an ENT Specialist for an assessment.

Hope this helps and all the best!

Not the answer you're looking for? Just ask your own quesiton now FOR FREE.

Snoring Treatment: The Essential Guide To (Not) Snoring (2020)

Ever experienced sleepless nights next to a loud snorer? It's time to ask your snoring partner to get some help!

Snoring is a common problem, affecting about 15% of Singaporeans. If you've just been brushing it off as a nuisance, here's the deal - snoring may be symptomatic of a more serious health concern.

The Essential Guide To Earwax Removal In Singapore

We’ve all been guilty of ear digging. Most of my patients say they do it because they can’t stand the thought of earwax in their ear canal. Others will simply say that ear digging feels “shiok”. Imagine their surprise when I tell them that the ear canal is a self-cleansing organ which doesn't need to be cleaned!

The Complete Guide To Seeing An ENT Specialist In Singapore (2020)

Friends, families, and even fellow doctors often ask me how they should go about seeing an Ear, Nose & Throat (ENT) Specialist in Singapore.

Many are not even aware that ENT as a surgical specialty even exists! Although I end up seeing them myself most of the time, they often have many questions. These include questions about the costs of seeing an ENT specialist, or the need for a subspecialist for their condition. 

As an ENT specialist with more than 10 years of experience in this field, I hope this article will shed some light for those in search for an ENT specialist in Singapore.

Ask Dr Annabelle Leong: ENT Conditions In Children

Ear, nose, and throat (ENT) problems are extremely common in children, including ear infections, blocked and stuffy nose, tonsillitis, snoring and sleep-related breathing issues.

The challenge is to diagnose these correctly in children who may not always be able to report their symptoms. With the right diagnosis, ENT conditions in children can be treated successfully.

Dr Annabelle answered questions from readers on:

• Common ENT problems in children
  • Allergic Rhinitis, Chronic Sore Throat, Hearing loss, Nose Bleeds, etc
  • Childhood ENT Disorder
  • When to see a specialist for these conditions
  • Causes of these problems
  • Treatment options in Singapore
  • Treatment costs in Singapore
This Singaporean ENT Says You Shouldn't Clean Your Children's Ears; The Ear Is Actually A Self-Cleaning Device!

Children are sensitive creatures. During their developmental years, their minds and bodies can be more fragile than a sandcastle on a rainy day.

They can suddenly fall seriously ill. This is why keeping an eye on every sniffle and cough is vital for them to enjoy a healthy and happy childhood.

Dr Annabelle Leong, an Ear, Nose and Throat (ENT) surgeon has 15 years of experience in managing all types of ENT conditions. They include nasal, sinus, and sleep disorders.

During her recent DoctorxDentist Session, she gave her medical opinions on a broad spectrum of ENT problems that children often experience. From minor colds to ear infections to serious allergies, here are the key takeaways.