What is the process for mole removal in Singapore? (photo)

Skin, Hair & Nails Aesthetic Medicine Plastic Surgery

I have a protruding mole on my face as in the picture. How is the mole removed? Where should I go for a consultation to remove my mole in Singapore?

Thank you for your question and sharing your photograph. You are right that you have a protruding mole and the best way to remove this would be via a direct surgical excision and followed by meticulous closure by a skilled surgeon. There will be a linear scar but there are some techniques that can help to minimise the scarring. The mole is too large to be removed by non-surgical methods or laser and the result will be worse. 

We will attempt to place the scar within one of the natural lines of the face to set the stage for optimal wound healing. The tissues layers have to be opposed accurately followed by meticulous skin closure with the use of fine sutures (finer than the calibre of hair). This will help to ensure that there is minimal scarring from the sutures. Sutures are removed on the 5th post-operative day. All surgeries and incisions on the skin will always leave a scar.  This is especially so in Asian patients as we are at increased risk of getting bad scars.

Equally important to the surgery would be the after care of the surgical scar. Use of silicone scar creams to prevent hypertrophic scars and sunblock to prevent hyper pigmentation are a standard part of my after-care regime for all patients undergoing surgery at our clinic. You will need to be on a silicone cream for about 2-3 months depending on how your scar does and sunblock for until the redness fades. For most of my patients, these will suffice. For some with more prominent scars, lasers or steroid injections may be added on to improve the appearance of the scar.

Removal of moles or skin cancers are considered medical procedures and they are covered either by Medisave or Insurance depending on your coverage.

I hope this answers your question. Have a great week ahead and all the best!

Dr. Terence Goh

Plastic Surgeon

The information provided is purely for educational purposes and does not constitute medical advice or create any physician/patient relationship. Results may vary between individuals.

0 1443 views 21 Sep 2018

Thank you for the question. For protruding moles, they can be removed by surgical excision or shave excision. Laser ablation of  a large protruding mole is a less preferred option.This is usually done under local anesthetic. 

You can see your dermatologist/doctor to get the mole assessed. Your doctor will be able to advise you on the pros and cons of the different treatment options. They may advise sending the mole for histological testing if there is suspicion of an atypical mole to rule out malignancy 

0 2374 views 17 Mar 2018
Thank you for the question and the picture!

All the previous Doctors have given you clear and accurate information regarding suspicious symptoms and treatment options.

From the picture, your mole is too large for non-surgical methods of removal such as lasers. They would result in a poor scar and a high recurrence rate. Surgical removal by a skilled surgeon would be ideal to give you the best possible scar. Furthermore, this would allow us to send it for histological assessment to ensure it is benign. Medisave and insurance claims are also possible with surgical excision. 

I hope this answers your question. 

Best Regards,

Dr Samuel Ho

0 2267 views 26 Mar 2018

Hello AZ

Thank you for your question. You should definitely consult a doctor first to get an accurate diagnosis. There are many different types of moles and it is important to make sure the mole is a benign and harmless one before deciding on removal. Although rare, there is a small possibility for the mole to turn into a cancerous one especially if: 

• change in size/ shape/ colour
  • irregular border
  • diameter bigger than 6mm 
  • symptoms such as bleeding/ itch 

There are a few ways to remove moles:

• excision/ shave biopsy
  • laser
  • electrocautery 

Speak to your doctor/ dermatologist/ plastic surgeon to find out more. All the best!

0 2365 views 17 Mar 2018

Hello AZ,

The mole of concern is best treated by surgical excision. This will however leave a linear scar.

Other forms of treatment like laser ablation in this case will lead to a high chance of recurrence. Lasers are still an option for flat and small moles.

0 2318 views 18 Mar 2018
Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other answers tagged Skin, Hair & Nails Aesthetic Medicine Plastic Surgery or ask your own question now FOR FREE.