What is the recommended frequency for getting an STD test check up?

Sexual Health Gynaecology

I am in my late 20s. I have been screened for all STDs 6 months ago and came back negative (except for HSV2 which I was diagnosed with 3 years ago). I have not had any new sexual partners since. I was wondering what is the recommended frequency for getting an STD test check up? Thank you.

Hi. Recommended frequency of STD testing will vary for different individuals. If you have had your testing performed 6 months ago, and have not had ANY sexual partners since, then I would say it is not really necessary to test unless you have any symptoms of concern.

However, if you have had sexual intercourse with a known partner but no NEW sexual partners as you mentioned, then your decision to test would depend on whether you have concerns about your partner's status.

If you are concerned that your partner has had other potential exposures, then yes it would be recommended to get a screening test, as the nature of STDs will always mean there is a potential chain of transmission.

For females, it is also important to schedule regular pap smears (at least every 3 years) as well as discuss with your doctor on the need for HPV testing or vaccinations if those have not been completed.

Dr Jonathan Ti
MBBS

Dr Tan & Partners

780 views 9 Oct 2018
Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other answers tagged Sexual Health Gynaecology or ask your own question now FOR FREE.